Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of wiring my car now. I was planning to use C.D. solenoids for the nitrous and fuel pump until I read your earlier post. I was told that the relays can weld themself shut (on position) if they have too much load on them. Have you seen this to be a problem? What amp & brand relays would you recommend for the following items:

*Product Engineering 460 gph fuel pump
*plate nitrous system with large bottom exit nitrous and large fuel solenoids

I'm not sure how many amps the solenoids pull, but when I was flow testing each solenoid I used a 30A fuse and didn't have any problems. This was only using one solenoid at a time though.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
613 Posts
In most cases, a standard 40/30 amp relay will handle most items that need to be driven by relays. A Bosch or Tyco relay is a good quality product and are usually available at most auto parts stores. For extreme duty, Bosch offers a 70 amp relay, which you may want to consider for your Nitrous system.

I would contact the manufacture of the Nitrous system and ask for a recommendation from them, they may even have relays to support your system. You may want to ask them how many amps the Nitrous system pulls, that way you can install the proper relay.
Most of the Nitrous systems I have worked with have pulled anywhere from 28 amps to 36 amps.
I thought that Product Engineering supplied relays or has a relay kit to support their fuel pumps. Either way the above mentioned 40/30 amp relay will support your pump.

I hope this helps
Sparky

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nitrous system is Compucar. They recommend the C.D. solenoids. I didn't get a relay with the pump. I think PE offers one that is a double relay. How does this work and why is 2 relays needed?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I think Product Engineering feels that 2 relays better support their product. I have used one relay on their product before without issues. Maybe one backs up the other in case o failure, or maybe the 2 relays are sharing the load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts