Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering how you guys were reinforcing the area where the upper control arms bolts to on the frame from the rear end. The only thing i have so far is the reinforcement bar that goes from the lower control arm bolt to the upper control arm bolt. However, i heard that repeated high horsepower launches can tear/break the upper mount off the frame. How are you guys reinforcing this area? Would putting a crossbar between the frame rails and welding it to the crossmember help? The car has a 12pt. cage already but has rear seats so i cant tie the cage into that area. PLEASE POST PICTURES, thanks!

Area in question on my A-Body, where the red upper control arm from the rear end attaches to the frame mounting tab/pocket.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, great ideas! I will have my chassis guy fab up something like your car rallye bob since i called TNT today and they don't actually sell a 'kit' for the upper control arms.

DOTracer, i would tie it into my cage too but my frame/cage isn't 25.5/3, just a 12pt, motor/mid plate car with ARB on the cage inside the trunk and i have a rear seat. Yours looks nice though! I have the Hotchkis trailing arm braces and gussetted lower control arms mount like the TNT set-up. I will have my chassis guy plate all the mounting holes as well while he is down there to prevent the holes from ovaling. Will post up pics when i get it done, thanks!

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
FWIW, I think you are making a big mistake. Gusseting or reinforcing where the upper and lower control arms mount is only half the battle. Obviously, keeping your rear seat is important to you, but chassis stiffness should be more important. If your car is fast enough to need a cage, then it should have a correctly constructed cage.

The rear of your cage should tie into three key spots in your chassis, otherwise, your cage is just window dressing meant only to satisfy the tech inspectors. You roll cage should be a tool. It adds weight to your car, the least you should do is use it to it's full potential. That rigidity correlates directly to the performance, reliability, consistency, and tune-ability of your car each and every time it hits the track. Your cage should tie directly into where the upper control arm, lower control arm and shock/spring upper mount area. The closer you are to those places, the stiffer your chassis will be. And THAT is the entire point of having a cage, both from a performance AND safety standpoint.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks guys, great ideas! I will have my chassis guy fab up something like your car rallye bob since i called TNT today and they don't actually sell a 'kit' for the upper control arms.

DOTracer, i would tie it into my cage too but my frame/cage isn't 25.5/3, just a 12pt, motor/mid plate car with ARB on the cage inside the trunk and i have a rear seat. Yours looks nice though! I have the Hotchkis trailing arm braces and gussetted lower control arms mount like the TNT set-up. I will have my chassis guy plate all the mounting holes as well while he is down there to prevent the holes from ovaling. Will post up pics when i get it done, thanks!
HEY THAT'S MY CAR!!!! :p
You will not be disappointed with the TNT stuff. My car has been transformed since those guys dialed it in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts