Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much can you differ from the original spec when regrinding a cam? i've got a solid roller & it's got a bad spot in a lobe a few thousandsths deep. Wondering if I could use it a a core?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Should not be any issue, if the cam was made correctly to begin with.
We check the part# of the core to find out what the lobes were roughed to before it was heat treated, then we measure the current lobes to see how much material was taken off, and how much heat treat is left for regrinding.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should not be any issue, if the cam was made correctly to begin with.
We check the part# of the core to find out what the lobes were roughed to before it was heat treated, then we measure the current lobes to see how much material was taken off, and how much heat treat is left for regrinding.
This what I have:
232/238 @ 0.50 .643/.643 with 1.7 Rockers 113 LSA

Can anything be to done to it to be of use for:
333 4.04 x 3.25. TW heads flow around 290/200 @ .600 (I will look for the flow sheet). 10.25:1, Light weight rods. Super Vic EFI. Wilson elbow with 90MM TB. 4.30 gear. Stick car @ 3250. 26x9 slicks.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I found my flow sheet:
Intake

Intake
.300 228
.400 270
.500 291
.600 299

Exhaust
.300 145
.400 173
.500 192
.600 203
.700 210

I'd like to stay below 7500
Probably around a 200 shot in the future

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
So this would not work on my core since it has more lift & a different LSA?
It would be fine, because we're only changing the lobe lift by a max of .022", and changing the lobe centers 1/2 a degree on each lobe. Since we're going to a little taller lobe, with a little more duration, we'll be taking the .022" off at the base circle, and just .002" at max lift.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
It would be fine, because we're only changing the lobe lift by a max of .022", and changing the lobe centers 1/2 a degree on each lobe. Since we're going to a little taller lobe, with a little more duration, we'll be taking the .022" off at the base circle, and just .002" at max lift.
Is this cost effective to getting a new cam? Never heard any prices on re-grinding a cam.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
Is this cost effective to getting a new cam? Never heard any prices on re-grinding a cam.
it really depends on what cam you have to begin with and what lobe designs they have.
i am getting my cam reground and they are taking 8degrees off the exhaust duration and I am not losing any lobe lift. $75 for a regrind.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
it really depends on what cam you have to begin with and what lobe designs they have.
i am getting my cam reground and they are taking 8degrees off the exhaust duration and I am not losing any lobe lift. $75 for a regrind.
I hope that's a flat tappet.
If they're only charging $75 to regrind a billet roller, good luck.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I charge about $150-200 less then I charge for a new roller cam.
If you can't find anyone to buy your old cam, then regrinding it may be the most cost effective way to go. You're just limited on how much you can change it, and not get too thin on the heat treat.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I will see how what I have in the car nowworks out, if it doesn't work out, I will this old one reground.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Bullet charges 125 to do a regrind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts