Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to share how you cook them? I usually just split it in half lengthwise and cook it like I am frying chicken, but I'd like to try something different I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
41,188 Posts
I haven't seen a red squirrel around here since the early '60s, the grays chased them all out of here when they showed up. Makes a good stew is what I'm told.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Stew/crock pot or bbq them. Fried is really good also. I had a friend that swears his Mom made the best squirrel and dumplings.

I love hunting them, I love eating them, but I hate cleaning those little bastards.

here is a 'few' we got one morning. I'm taking the pic.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taxman I'd like to try a stew or some dumplings with them, but I don't know what the best way would be to prep them before throwing them in the pot :smt110

Skosler I'm the same way about cleaning them, that's probably worse IMO than skinning a channel cat :-D Heck I only had 3 to clean this morning, I'd hate to think I had 30 or so like that picture of yours to clean :rolleyes:

But hey mine are all head shots :p Does that count LOL!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
seriously guys you eat them?
what do they taste like, and dont say chicken lol.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
seriously guys you eat them?
what do they taste like, and dont say chicken lol.

ummm, why not?

they are a bit tougher of a meat, but very good.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
ummm, why not?

they are a bit tougher of a meat, but very good.
The pressure cooker takes care of the toughness, you should give it a shot. It's hard to tell looking through the scope how old they are sometimes but the older ones can be a little stringy.

·
Registered
954 Posts
brown them in the skillet like you were frying chicken, then bake them @350 (covered) with mushroom gravy for about an hour.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Those are funny looking red squirrels!!! Did you dress them up in fox squirrel costumes for these pictures?? lol

I guess I shouldn't be pickin'... since they are all head shots.

But I don't think you can shoot me all the way from Texas. :smt064

My grandmother use to brown them in the oven, bread them, flash fry them then cook them the rest of the way in the oven with french onion soup over top of them.

It was awesome!!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,113 Posts
REMOVE BRAINS AND ADD TO SCRAMBLED EGGS!....YUUMMM...PROTEIN! ;)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are funny looking red squirrels!!! Did you dress them up in fox squirrel costumes for these pictures?? lol

I guess I shouldn't be pickin'... since they are all head shots.

But I don't think you can shoot me all the way from Texas. :smt064

My grandmother use to brown them in the oven, bread them, flash fry them then cook them the rest of the way in the oven with french onion soup over top of them.

It was awesome!!

Heck I've always heard them called red squirrels around here but after you mentioned it I did a search and learned they are indeed fox squirrels :cool: Thanks for pointing that out :cool:

And yep you're safe from the pellet gun way up there, I'm going to the garage and get the cruise missle now :smt044

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Heck I've always heard them called red squirrels around here but after you mentioned it I did a search and learned they are indeed fox squirrels :cool: Thanks for pointing that out :cool:

And yep you're safe from the pellet gun way up there, I'm going to the garage and get the cruise missle now :smt044
I saw the post for red squirrels suggestions and since they are a little larger, not by much, then a chipmunk I thought this would be interesting.

Taking cover now!! ;)

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I call them a squirrel. I could care less what the exact name is. Around these parts- if you say squirrel, then 99.99% of the people know what you mean. If they don't, then they are a damn yankee...

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
I'll eat just about anything, but I haven't eaten tree rat. I would definitely give it a go if I had the chance! I shoot them in my yard sometimes with my pellet gun, but I'm not gonna clean 'em.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Squirrel is good food. I like it better than rabbit. I'm with the guys that like it chicken fried and finished in the oven with gravy. Mushroom or country white gravy. This gives it a chance to get tender, with out drying out. After you clean them, soak in salt water overnight to draw out the blood.

Covered in sauerkraut, onion and brown sugar isn't bad either, if you like sweet and sour German style. No crust on this one.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Squirrel is good food. I like it better than rabbit. I'm with the guys that like it chicken fried and finished in the oven with gravy. Mushroom or country white gravy. This gives it a chance to get tender, with out drying out. After you clean them, soak in salt water overnight to draw out the blood.

Covered in sauerkraut, onion and brown sugar isn't bad either, if you like sweet and sour German style. No crust on this one.

damn, I may have to try the sauerkraut way. I just made a few gallons of kraut from left over cabbage from the winter garden.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts