Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some fresh from a farmer's market.My options are I have a table top charcoal grill,microwave,of course a oven/stove.

How do you guys like to make them??. I've never made them before.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Grilling is my preference, though they can take 30+ minutes. To speed things up I usually cook them about halfway in the microwave first. I cut them into quarters, cook them about 3-4 minutes on high in the microwave, maybe a little longer if they're large.

Once they cool down enough to handle, I put them in a bowl or Ziplock bag with olive oil, a little lemon juice, salt, pepper, rosemary and minced garlic. Mix around until covered and spread them out on a grill pan or basket and grill them on medium heat about 10-15 minutes or until they start getting brown and crispy.

Very often I will add sliced raw onion rings and/or sliced bell peppers into the bowl/bag with the potatoes and cover in the oil mixture. Grill all of the vegetables together and it makes a great side dish. This is where you really want to partially cook the potatoes in the microwave first, so they only need about 10-15 minutes on the grill like the onions and peppers. Otherwise the other vegetables will be ready and the potatoes will need another 15-20 minutes. By the time the potatoes are done the other vegetables are overcooked.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I like to make a roasted red potato salad. So much more flavor when you roast everything together compared to just boiling the potatoes.

I add in hard boiled eggs, bacon, celery, mayo, and plenty of herbs and spices like paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and just a hint of cumin. I freaking love cumin.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
I got some fresh from a farmer's market.My options are I have a table top charcoal grill,microwave,of course a oven/stove.

How do you guys like to make them??. I've never made them before.
Basically they are just another variety of white flesh potato with a slightly different taste and texture. Prepare them like you would do for the normal dishes you make. Just made a potato salad yesterday or you can do something different like the lemon potato dish I stole from a restaurant in Italy. Boiled potatoes, diced with Lemon vest and butter.

If you want to get a little more exotic, there are a bunch of colored potatoes available.

Denny

·
Registered
407 Posts
I boil them for about twenty minutes, smash them a little in a tortilla press, drizzle with olive oil and spices and roast them in a flat pan in the oven for about 30 minutes. Of course you need garlic cloves, red and yellow bell peppers and 1015 or vidalia sweet onions in with them. I gotta go, suddenly I'm real hungry.

·
Registered
21,552 Posts
Love the redskins. I'm a lot simpler than you gourmets. I just cook the damn things and eat 'em, skins and all.

Another variety I particularly like are called "yukon gold."

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
Are they the full size ones or the smaller "new potatoes"?

Either way, the best way is to cut them up, into about 1-2" cubes, if they are bigger potatoes. Leave the skins on!

Boil them in salted water, until they are about 90% done (90% cooked for mashing).

In the meantime, Saute some sliced yellow onion in melted butter. I like lots of onion and lots of butter.

Drain the potatoes and add the onion and butter mixture with a little black pepper.

I could eat a gallon of them this way....

Roasted rosemary potatoes are good also.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just want to let you guys know how insensitive you are. Until that team changes its name, I refuse to watch them play!

Oh! you said potatoes-----------------------never mind---Almost the same.
Hand me another beer.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Do not peel them. Put them in a pot of cold water bring to a boil until just tender. Then cut them into nice size chucks place in large bowl. Add a chopped Vidalia onion or sweet onion of choice cut up a jar of hot cherry vinegar peppers add to bowl add salt pepper and minced garlic then toss with olive oil and some lemon zest. It's Italian potato salad.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Do not peel them. Put them in a pot of cold water bring to a boil until just tender. Then cut them into nice size chucks place in large bowl. Add a chopped Vidalia onion or sweet onion of choice cut up a jar of hot cherry vinegar peppers add to bowl add salt pepper and minced garlic then toss with olive oil and some lemon zest. It's Italian potato salad.
rms

Glad to see you alive and well.

Denny

·
Revolution Is My Name
20,381 Posts
Read the thread and got me thinking about comfort food.

So this afternoon, I decided to make scalloped, red potatoes, and pork chops.

Had some red potatoes fresh from a friends garden, thin sliced them with the skin on, sliced some yellow onion just as thin, opened a can of cream of chicken, poured into large pan, added one can of water to the soup, brought to boil, stirred till mixed, added onion, arranged sliced potato over soup and onion, then placed thick cut pork chops on top. Seasoned top with medertarian seasoning, and covered. It has been simmering for a couple hours.

Serve with cold beer!

Yea!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I microwave them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper then slice them thin on a mandolin (being careful not to lose the side of my thumb) and lay them on a pizza crust with a white sauce, pancetta (or cooked bacon), smoked provolone, and cilantro.

I am a meat lover or pepperoni kind of guy, but this has become my favorite pizza.

·
Former RJ instigator
42,693 Posts
I guess I'm old fashion or just cheap, I like'em fried with onions... they make the best home fries ever.

·
Which is more disturbed?
10,577 Posts
^ Looks good

1 - 14 of 14 Posts