Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to the red dot sights. im also new to target shooting .22's. i just bought a s&w 22A. it came with a rail for a red dot sight. the target shooting i will be primarily doing with the gun is one handed 50' bullseye competion. i dont expect to set the world on fire and be on the cover of magazines, however i do expect my self to perform well and improve consistently. ive seen red dot sights priced between 40 bucks and 2,ooo bucks. this leads me too my question. at what point would i be wasting my money on a red dot for this gun? i plan on shooting 2 to 3 times a month.

thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Well it depends on what you think is a waiste? In the military we use red dots and they are not for everyone. Takes a little time to calibrate to the user! I like them and make me very acruate! I would start with a cheaper red dot and work my way up if you like it.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I may be the minority here, but I am not a fan of red dot sights on a rifle. Maybe on a pistol, but I think you would get a lot better using the iron sights, then maybe move up to red dots later if you want.
learn the basics, put in your time learning to shoot the gun, then play with the red dot stuff.

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
I may be the minority here, but I am not a fan of red dot sights on a rifle. Maybe on a pistol, but I think you would get a lot better using the iron sights, then maybe move up to red dots later if you want.
learn the basics, put in your time learning to shoot the gun, then play with the red dot stuff.
Shoot with an EoTech sight and you will change your mind.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoot with an EoTech sight and you will change your mind.
WOW! i think i know which one im pickin! that thing is great. thanks alot OC

·
Premium Member
102,308 Posts
WOW! i think i know which one im pickin! that thing is great. thanks alot OC
They are not cheap either. Take that in with part of the equation.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are not cheap either. Take that in with part of the equation.
That's the second thing I noticed about the sight. Hard to believe a sight can cost twice as much as the gun I'm putting it on.

I really like the way it has a circle around the center dot. I used a red dot and it was great, but I did find myself searching for the dot from time to time. The circle seems like it could help in that area

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have three Eotech's myself the ones I have range from 520-700 and are well worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts