Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Red Beans Anyone?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  pdq67 
#1 ·
In New Orleans, it's tradition(al) to cook red beans on Mondays. Although it's Thursday, I want to make em again. How many out there enjoy red beans and who wants to tell a little about how you make em?

I do mine fairly simple...crockpot with creole seasoning and smoke sausage. My dad used to add bacon and pork tips to his along with some other sort of seasoning I do not remember. If I could ever duplicate what he did, I'd be in heaven

#2 ·
Do 'em all the time..
Real red beans [not the canned ones], or if you'd rather... use Northern beans, put them in a big pot along with some very meaty or boneless HAM HOCKS.. Cook it all very slow [it takes along time for the beans], seasoning as you go to suit yourself. Dont let it all BOIL hard.. As close to simmer as you can get, with it SLIGHTLY boiling. Keep an eye on it, as you will have to add water a few times. After a good while, start checking the beans [tasting], and when they're smooth and not crunchy, they're done...
Try serving this over cooked white rice, it is absolutely to DIE for!
You can also substitute all the New 'Alins stuff for the ham hocks.
However you do it, try it over the cooked white rice, you might just like it...:supz:
BeanDawg

#4 ·
I normally do mine in a croc pot..kinda like "set it and forget it" other than a few occasional stirs and such. 3-4 hrs later all is well and I always serve it with white rice.

please never call it New 'Alins...it's N'awlins and no one uses that "word" :p ;) :p

thanks for the advice though

Silver, I'll look it up today when I go to Rouses

#3 ·
In New Orleans, it's tradition(al) to cook red beans on Mondays. Although it's Thursday, I want to make em again. How many out there enjoy red beans and who wants to tell a little about how you make em?

I do mine fairly simple...crockpot with creole seasoning and smoke sausage. My dad used to add bacon and pork tips to his along with some other sort of seasoning I do not remember. If I could ever duplicate what he did, I'd be in heaven
Patrick....see if you can find what is called ENDS and PIECES....it's bacon and many store here in Lake Charles have it....it's right there with the bacon.....That is what I use in my green beans and taters.....Don't know why but it has a slightly different taste than regular bacon....this just may be the taste you need to duplicate dads beans!

I make my red beans just like yours and drop in as few ends and pieces as well......goooood stuff!

#5 ·
I use the heavy smoked bits and ends or country smoked ham left over from a Sunday dinner. I start it off with a red onion chopped celery and green pepper all chopped fine. Smoked sausage is good too. I use salt pepper and some Louisiana hot sauce. If you use a soup stock to cook beans it gives a heartier flavor and try a tad of nutmeg in it it helps the smoky flavor, I think. Northern or Navy beans the same hold the hot sauce. If there is one thing besides beans that you don't want to forget it is onion. that makes the beans.

#7 ·
In texas, we do Charro beans. basicly pinto beans with a ham hawk cooked on the stove for about 5hrs.
For being out of a box, the Zatarains brand stuff is pretty good for a quick fix.

#10 ·
no offense taken, I just like bustin people's chops about it! I was down in Biloxi 3 weeks ago for a concert and a beach trip with friends

#12 ·
I soak the beans over night. The next morning I drain the water and put in new water and start cooking. Then I get a pound of hickory smoked bacon and fry it up and then cut into 1 inch strips and put it in with the beans along with 3 or 4 bay leaves and cook on low heat for about 2 1/2 hours or so. Then I cutup an onion, a couple cloves of garlic, a few roma tomatoes and a half bunch of cilantro and cook or another 30 or so until the vegetables get soft, salt and pepper to taste and serve.

#14 ·

Are those the same as what I've always called "kidney beans"? If so I hav'nt had any in many years, but I'm going to have my wife get some......you've made me hungry for 'em.:)

#15 ·
no red beans are actually different...Kidneys are a bit larger...if you were to substitute I'd use pinto beans instead.

a smoked ham hock, bay leaves and sea salt is what I was taught growing up...a little butter and rice to add to the plate once its done.

#16 ·
Red beans and rice!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want some crawfish etoufee to go along with all this. Maybe some green onion hush puppy's too..

Heck, start with a dozen oysters on the 1/2 shell, a long neck and we are off.........

Then go with a great pork butt done like you want..........

pdq67

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.