Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Block shop open rafters. Im in S.Carolina so it doesnt get super cold in the winters. Looking for a recommendation for a kerosene heater. Possibly electric but not an outside unit
Whats the advantages/disadvantages of a kerosene blower? Never had 1

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
Going to take a lot of BTU. I'd at least use some kind of insulation board on the ceiling, guarantee it will pay for itself real quick. Kerosene stinks, I'd look at propane convection heaters.

·
Registered
20,028 Posts
the kerosene will put out soot and fumes more then anything else, Optimal would be radiant heat in the floor, but a boiler and baseboard would also work

·
Registered
13,399 Posts
If its 28X30 ft, one of these, silent when running , if its 28/30 metres...you need a fkn blast furnace

·
Senior Frog
10,422 Posts
If you use your shop like me,nights or weekends and its not heated all winter
and you just need to heat it while you work ,I would look into a torpedo style and run it on diesel
so you dont choke.. Mines 75000 and it will take a 30 degree shop and put it into the 60s and I point it at the bench
obviously larger will heat up faster but I tried 300000 model and it was insane too hot too fast

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
You'll need to do a heat calc to know how much heat you'll need. There are plenty of free online calculators for this. Just make sure you choose the right climate zone for SC. Kerosene sucks. If you don't have Nat Gas, get yourself a permanent LPG tank and install a suspended LPG heater.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Can you provide more specs on what you want?

Will the vehicle doors be opening and closing throughout the day?

What insulation?

What fuel do you have available, gas, oil, electric or other?

I can do a heat loss calculation for you…

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
the kerosene will put out soot and fumes more then anything else, Optimal would be radiant heat in the floor, but a boiler and baseboard would also work
Agree, he should tear out the floor, pay to have the concrete removed, put in the insulation and tubes, repour the floor, and put in a boiler. Or he could buy a $200 torpedo for the few times in SoCar that he needs heat. Maybe a sweatshirt is an option…

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
What does everyone think of waste oil heaters? I knew a couple guys that used them when I lived in Oklahoma. One was homemade and created an odor but wasn't that bad. The other one was a commercial unit and it was basically odorless. Both guys took in used oil from all their buddies and had no energy bill to keep their shops hot.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
What does everyone think of waste oil heaters? I knew a couple guys that used them when I lived in Oklahoma. One was homemade and created an odor but wasn't that bad. The other one was a commercial unit and it was basically odorless. Both guys took in used oil from all their buddies and had no energy bill to keep their shops hot.
Lots of maintenance keeping them soot free in burner area from the one I know of.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I ran a 3 pass Lanair waste oil burner in my shop for 6 years. I bought a refurbished unit with all new pumps regulators and refactor inside combustion chamber.
I wish I had all my time and $ back.
I would burn at least a 1000 gallon a year have to clean it twice so it was efficient.
All the oil was "free" if you want to call it that.
Only thing that made it better than wood burner was I could get at least 2 weeks out of a tank before having to fill it again.

When I started spending more time in South Carolina
I put a natural gas radiant tube heat in shop.
The amount I saved in electric paid for the gas bill.
With waste oil ,air compressor always had to be on.
And fans and pumps always running.
No more oil mess. No more filtering oil and draining the antifreeze or water out of it. Then having to get rid of that. When people call to give you oil. You have to go then. Or when I would need it in winter. You couldn't find it.
Fuck waste oil burners.
Only place that it might be good is if you only burn clean hydraulic fluid or transmission fluild.

Before the lanair I found prints on internet to build 1.
It was a fun project that I mostly did while getting paid at Whirlpool.
But my shop was way to big for this thing.
Gas Machine Metal Cylinder Auto part
Gas Building Machine Engineering Metal
Motor vehicle Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine
Gas Engineering Cylinder Heat Machine

·
Registered
711 Posts
Another option is an electric radiant oil heater. I used one for my 22 x 36 garage at my last house in Colorado. I would plug it in around Thanksgiving and unplug it around March or April. This would keep everything between 50 and 60 and then I had another if needed. Mine was insulated, but I believe that keeping some heat in the concrete all of the time makes a huge difference.
Brian

·
Registered
20,028 Posts

Agree, he should tear out the floor, pay to have the concrete removed, put in the insulation and tubes, repour the floor, and put in a boiler. Or he could buy a $200 torpedo for the few times in SoCar that he needs heat. Maybe a sweatshirt is an option…
Wow, maybe you should have taken your time reading what I wrote before you jumped on you band wagon, I said Optimal would be, Also a boiler and baseboard het is not the same as radiant but you keep on missing the point. And yes a torpedo heater would work if you like breathing in kerosene and getting soot on everything in the garage.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I use wood pellet stove 5 dollars a bag last 12 hrs you can get them used for cheep or use a radiant tube heater very cheap to operate

·
Registered
827 Posts
Do yourself a huge favor and put a house furnace in there. Then throw in a central air unit. You will spend a lot of time out there if your comfortable. Just like being in your house.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts