Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me in the right direction on where to start to get to a goal of 1000hp on a LS block with a turbo?

This is somewhat of a feeler post as I would like to get a idea of everything.

I would be starting fresh as in with nothing and am in no rush either.

Some Questions I have.
What LS block should I start with? I saw summit has a block for $700 with 6 bolt mains. Is this any good??
What crank, rods, pistons, heads etc.

Is it better to buy a complete longblock?

Any help from will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Fat Kid Racing
1,563 Posts
Fairly easy to accomplish without using "exotic" parts. There are guys doing it with stock short blocks. Well, stock to a point. If this is something your really considering, take the time to figure out what kinda use the car/truck/boat or whatever is gonna get.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wont take too much for 1000 flywheel. That Summit block is just a reman iron 6.0. Not a bad deal though for a ready to go block. Combine it with some Autotec pistons, Scat or Eagle rods, 9.5 to 1 compression, a set of 220 or 235 Trick Flows (or the stock 317's if your cheap), a 230ish duration cam, pretty much any intake, and a 88-91mm turbo. That will make it easily.

My stock shortblock 5.3 just made 824flywheel on 16psi with a 76mm turbo so that combo could do it as well with a little more boost. Like others said, it doesnt take much nowdays. A set of $300 Ebay turbos on a relatively mild LS engine would be the cheapest way.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I think my stepsons car will likely hit that goal, it's a 408 from a 6.0 block. Eagle nitrided steel crank, Eagle H-beam rods, Diamond Turbo pistons, Hellfire rings, Custom Cam. Cathedral port heads with extensive rework.

Only a 76mm Turbo, and utilizing a stock PCM, and trying to hit about 18-20 lbs of boost. Should be dynotuned here in the next couple weeks....I'll report back with the numbers. He's hoping for high 800's to the rear wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some good info here. Thanks for the help.
Keep it coming.

Is it ok to go with 4 bolt mains vs. the 6 bolt ?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I have a complete engine for sale if your interested.

Dennis

·
Registered
793 Posts
Check out the latest issue of HOT ROD. Tim Reed's turbo Pinto is in there and it's pretty simple combo. Hydraulic cam, 225cc heads , twin precision 67's . It went 8.02 at 3300lbs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
would a set of ported stock heads be able to achieve this also?
Why bother?Stock 317s will get you there.I ran 9.94 @ 144 with stock 317s,iron 6.0 block and no hook.Pump gas and 14#s.It's easy to do but if you think it will be cheap,don't even start.
Good luck.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Why bother?Stock 317s will get you there.I ran 9.94 @ 144 with stock 317s,iron 6.0 block and no hook.Pump gas and 14#s.It's easy to do but if you think it will be cheap,don't even start.
Good luck.
9.90'[email protected] isn't 1000hp is it? I don't think he's looking at "cheap", pretty sure he's researching so he doesn't go overboard like most folks do. No sense in buying big dollar heads if they aren't needed, that's what he's trying to find out.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Buy a complete lq4. That's what I just did. Victor Jr carb intake, cleaning the heads up some, cam, Arp Head studs and twin 60-1 turbos.

·
8=======D ~~~~
2,875 Posts
Wont take too much for 1000 flywheel. That Summit block is just a reman iron 6.0. Not a bad deal though for a ready to go block. Combine it with some Autotec pistons, Scat or Eagle rods, 9.5 to 1 compression, a set of 220 or 235 Trick Flows (or the stock 317's if your cheap), a 230ish duration cam, pretty much any intake, and a 88-91mm turbo. That will make it easily.
I bought a summit block for my build as it was a quicker solution to getting by engine put together.
eagle rods, autotec pistons. Cam is bullet 236/236 .629/.629 114 using l92 heads. So far only using an S475 but may step up to a bigger turbo down the road once I see what it can do with the 475 turned up

·
Registered
118 Posts
9.90'[email protected] isn't 1000hp is it? I don't think he's looking at "cheap", pretty sure he's researching so he doesn't go overboard like most folks do. No sense in buying big dollar heads if they aren't needed, that's what he's trying to find out.
OK.I got it.He wants to use a stock block and stock ported heads,but he's not thinking cheap.So since he has all the money he wants to make sure he dosn't go overboard.Gotcha. :rolleyes:Thanks for clearing that up.
My numbers were an example.I never said it was 1000HP.I'm sure that if I had turned it up to 25#s with race fuel it never would have gotten near 1000HP.
No offence to the OP.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No offence taken...I know its not going to be a cheap project at all. It never is when you want to go fast.
Right now im trying to decide if i buy a bare new block, rotating assembly kit heads and so on OR a complete used engine with all accessory brackets, nuts and bolts, oil pan, and so on. have it freshend up and change rods, pistons, cam, and heads if needed.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
OK.I got it.He wants to use a stock block and stock ported heads,but he's not thinking cheap.So since he has all the money he wants to make sure he dosn't go overboard.Gotcha. :rolleyes:Thanks for clearing that up.
My numbers were an example.I never said it was 1000HP.I'm sure that if I had turned it up to 25#s with race fuel it never would have gotten near 1000HP.
No offence to the OP.
Not what we meant and no offence to you. Your #'s are impressive for what is in the engine. I am with the op, whats it take for a 1000 RWHP street driven LS engine?
So a stock block, forged crank, forged rods , forged pistons, and say a stage 2 set of TEA heads with a 91 or even a 98 turbo. Would these make a streetable 1000 HP?
With all said I still think this would cost 1/2 of what it would take to build a ford engine to be equal, correct?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts