Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, BUT I WILL NEVER USE A FRAM FILTER.
hAD A BRAND NEW MOTOR AND FILTER, MADE IT TO THE WATER BOX, DID A BURNOUT AND LOOKED DOWN... NO OIL PRESSURE.

lOADED UP WENT HOME PULLED MOTOR, AND OIL PUMP PICKUP FELL OFF.
SAME CRAP HAPPENED TO MY BUDDIES' STUFF. BOTH PICKUPS WERE WELDED ON, AND BOTH HAD FRAM FILTER.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I used Fram for years. I never blocked off the filter by pass. They seemed fine. When I blocked off the by pass I learned Fram is junk. I run Wix or NAPA now. RM

·
Registered
146 Posts
GOT ME

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT TOO. BUT WHEN YOU SEE IT FIRST HAND MORE THAN ONCE YOU GOTTA WONDER. POSSIBLY BECAUSE THE FILTER CAN'T MOVE THAT HIGH VOLUME OF OIL AND THE PRESSURE BLEW THE PICKUP OFF.
How would an oil filter cause your oil pickup to fall off?

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
rs 7337 Something is flawed with that way of thinking. An standard oil pump is a simple gear pump. There is no pressure on the intake. If you broke the input drive shaft or peeled the teeth off the dist gear I would go along with something backing up. If your pick-up broke off try using the type of pick up that has a bracket that will bolt to at least one of the oil pump bolts. Also use caution when welding a pick up on, some cheaper pick-ups use thin wall tubing and they do not take much vibration before they crack.

·
Registered
999 Posts
When I was dirt track racing with alcohol motors the gossip was that the alcohol and condesation in the motor oil caused the filter material to swell and become restictive.I would like to see the presure drop of filters after they have a certain amount of trash in them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
When I was dirt track racing with alcohol motors the gossip was that the alcohol and condesation in the motor oil caused the filter material to swell and become restictive.I would like to see the presure drop of filters after they have a certain amount of trash in them.
If your getting fuel and water in the oil filter you have issues. You need a ton of pleets and look at a Wix.

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
Uncle Paul: You're right about the thin-wall pickups!
My buddy had welded the pickup tune 100% around instead of tack-welding it. Well...........the tubing cracked right next to the weld. Luckily I noticed the oil pressure fluctuate when I started to slow down and shut off the motor. No damage, but what a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I used fram for many many years with no problems, but one of the guys I work with built a BBF for his mustang and keeps losing oil pressure on the other end, did some research and found there is alot of people having problems, I will never use one again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts