Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 700r4 in my 92 chevy truck and I do need to rebuild it.

I have never done this before!!!

I have a 5.3 with cam setup and was thinking about installing a turbo when I do this and maybe making 600-800 hp.

I wanna rebuild the trans myself, but I dont know how and wanna make it strong enough to hold up if I go that route with the build.

If there is any advice or help ya can offer please do!

I really wanna be able to say I did this by myself!

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
GRRRR.

Had something typed out. and it deleted it. Fuck.

700 is expensive to build to be reliable at the power level you're going to make with the turbocharged motor.

I'd go the 4L80E with an aftermarket controller route, myself. A lot more durable. And there's a guy on here (Chris, I think?) that can build you a transbrake one.

Just my .05

We have to give .05 now in Canada since the penny is gone.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crap man trying to use what I got if I have to switch I will. The power levels I think are high, but was told build the car stronger then ya will run.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
You can make a 700 live at that level, its just going to be pricey.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your looking to tackle your first (and possibly only) transmission build I wouldn't start with a 700r4. I especially wouldn't attempt to build it and than throw 700+hp at it. There are company's who have been slaving over 700's thier whole careers and probably aren't comfortable at that level.

I would buy a turn key 700r4 from a qualified builder who will stand behind it at your power level (good luck finding that), break the internals in 1/2 and find out the hard way that you should have steered clear of the 700 before you even posted this thread.

If you're itching to learn, pick up a T-400 core and a manual and get started. A 400 can take that power with stock parts.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea I see arent the 400 cases getting hard to find though?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well looks like Ill be looking for one I also got a powerglide case to build also I forgot about till opened the shop up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Powerglides are a good way to start. The parts are cheap and 800HP would be an inexpensive and easy build. You could get away with a rebuild kit, Valve body, servo and a deep pan. From what I see on this forum there is plenty of people that could help you along the way.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I know thats why I like it here. I dont have a fun blown drag car that would require a power glide however I do have a chassis for it so might as well learn how.

I still gotta do the 700r4 for my truck. It is going in behind a 350 right now.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Input shaft the planet might live for a bit at that level.The 1.76 is the better of the two for stock planet for the glide.

·
Registered
19,961 Posts
if its a heavy truck, at least a 3 speed trans might be a wise choice-i would go with a 400 or 4L80E, search for a deal on a core-i have bought 80E's for as low as $150-in the long run, cheaper than updating a 700

1 - 12 of 12 Posts