Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
having fun
31,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 1995 4x4 gmc jimmy with bad hub bearings-obviously it looks serviceable to me-but i cant find info on what bearings go in there

all the local parts store want 80 bucks or more for the whole hub-but i would love to save bucks and rebuild whats there

anyone got any info or advice?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
you cant rebuild them, it a one piece deal and you have to replace the whole unit.
80 bucks isn't bad compared to what some other hub assembly's cost though

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
I have a 98 blazer and was told you could not service them, and that you have to replace the whole hub.

Treed.......

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
this is the world of non service able parts. and 80 is pretty darn cheap. thats probly the 3 mo warrenty i would get the 1year.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Ditto, it's a hub assembly,non rebuildable, and whatever brand you install make sure you get the correct torque specs.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ditto, it's a hub assembly,non rebuildable, and whatever brand you install make sure you get the correct torque specs.
x2 i forgot about that.
the axle nut has to be torqued to the right amount.
not just real tight, lol
i had more hubs come back to me because of that.

·
having fun
31,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i got new axles as well-axle nut to hub torque is 138 ft lbs

otherwise its held in place by 2 ball joints that are also new in the box as of now--i also have new shocks and control arm bushings-sanded down the control arms last night and cut off old ball joints

this truck is gonna be all new when done!!

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
ok so i have a 1995 4x4 gmc jimmy with bad hub bearings-obviously it looks serviceable to me-but i cant find info on what bearings go in there

all the local parts store want 80 bucks or more for the whole hub-but i would love to save bucks and rebuild whats there

anyone got any info or advice?
Not serviceable. If you can get them for $80, get four.
They are easy to change but when you put them back together, clean all the surfaces real good and neverseeze the snot out of it. You'll be happy you did.

Shouldn't take but 45 minutes a side unless it's rusted in there.

·
having fun
31,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not serviceable. If you can get them for $80, get four.
They are easy to change but when you put them back together, clean all the surfaces real good and neverseeze the snot out of it. You'll be happy you did.

Shouldn't take but 45 minutes a side unless it's rusted in there.
well i planned on antiseizing the heck out of the axle end anyway-and the bolts-the old parts were already practically welded together from time and corrosion-gonna get 2 new hub assemblies new in box for the front monday-then it should ride nice

·
having fun
31,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
check your ball joints them blazzers are famous for breaking em.

all new ,finished stripping 1 control arm last night of its bushings and ball joint

sanded and even repainted the whole arm-then proceeded to BEND THE SHIT OUT OF IT while pressing the new bearing in

its hot out so im taking a break today--started getting frustrated as the control arm tweaked-gonna brace it up better later to continue pressing on it

·
having fun
31,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update!!

new hubs are in my garage!!--gonna go out there tonight{when its cooler out}and swap the hubs over to the spindles -the spindles will be getting new coats of paint too

thanks for the help guys--the info has been helpful

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
update!!

new hubs are in my garage!!--gonna go out there tonight{when its cooler out}and swap the hubs over to the spindles -the spindles will be getting new coats of paint too

thanks for the help guys--the info has been helpful
First, sniff shit...it's 45F here.......cools off my ass.

Second, on the chance that it's rusted together, have you an acytelyne torch handy?

·
having fun
31,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First, sniff shit...it's 45F here.......cools off my ass.

Second, on the chance that it's rusted together, have you an acytelyne torch handy?
yep--also have a 20 ton press-and beer

shouldnt be too hard to do

·
Registered
368 Posts
Also, dont use an impact to tighten them. I know we've all done it, but the cheaper ones tend to break (inside)when hit with the impact....

·
Registered
368 Posts
you referring to the axle nut?
Yeah. Ive been selling auto parts for a while now, and I always get customers saying they fail prematurely. When you ask them if they used an impact to tighten the nut, they always say yes. Most hub assemblies have a little note inside that nobody reads, that says, DO NOT USE IMPACT GUN TO TIGHTEN. They are kinda like "destructions" (instructions), you only read them after you broke something....lol

·
having fun
31,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah. Ive been selling auto parts for a while now, and I always get customers saying they fail prematurely. When you ask them if they used an impact to tighten the nut, they always say yes. Most hub assemblies have a little note inside that nobody reads, that says, DO NOT USE IMPACT GUN TO TIGHTEN. They are kinda like "destructions" (instructions), you only read them after you broke something....lol

ive always avoided any air tools for assembleing just about anything-i dont think an air tool gives you any sort of feel as to what your doing

but thanks again for the advice-we got the 1 year warranty hubs for now--110 a piece

1 - 20 of 24 Posts