Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure the degree of the touchdown makes a huge difference whether the impeller can be reused or not, but how tight are the clearances between the housing and the impeller. I was under the impression that they were only thousandths, so if that is true, doesn't any touchdown increase that gap after any cleanup, and therefore decrease the blower's capacity? What can be done after a touchdown to repair a blower? Can an impeller be touched up so the blower has the same potential as before? Centrifugals specifically in this case.

What steps would you take after a touchdown, other than cleaning out all the piping? Can you do anything to clean up the intercooler (A/A) ?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Vader had a thread on inlet to impeller tolerances a few years ago, gaps varied from 0.02" to something like 0.09".

Probably should talk to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the time a touch down is no big deal and can be given that little bit of clearance and I have seen NO effect on the blower after that is done.
Thanks! That is good news and I hope that is true. I'm going to search for impeller pictures to compare to mine. Any damage to something precision like that looks bad to me, so maybe it wasn't as bad as I first thought. My antique D1R has been good to me. Although I do wish I'd traded up to an F1R when they offered that option back in the day.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Received the bad news today, it needs a new impeller, and bearings. Not as bad as it could have been but more than I was hoping for. Still much less then a new head unit, so I guess it will be a rebuild. Anyone have any Procharger coupons?...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts