Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When putting a fresh motor (25 passes) back to together would you rehone cylinder's? What do you do with ring's and bearing's? Reusing everything just putting it back together.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
You can reuse everything and it will probably be just fine, but for the price of rings and bearings you can't go wrong by replacing them. I mean you have the engine apart, you might as well replace them. It's cheap insurance....

·
out of work hair dresser
8,341 Posts
If everything looks great, then everything get's put back in the motor. Anything that doesn't look so great, I have to find out why.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'd have to venture to say that as long as everything looks good put it back in. Same thing happened to me and had to pull the motor to have my builder go through it as precaution. Everything looked great, normal wear on rod bearings hardly even visible and I opted to change them even though my builder said not necessary. You should be fine, just keep in mind the penny wise dollar foolish saying if in doubt, cheaper to fix it than replace it.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
IF everything looks good then---Yes put them back in just make sure everything goes back where it came from,

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
I never hone the cylinders just clean them off with scotch bright pad. I have my blocks honed with torque plate if you ball hone at home you will mess it up and just add clearance.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I'm in the process right now.. I did a leak down before I started tearing her apart and that turned out good.. Inspected rod and main bearings, good and now I'm in the process of replacing the intake valves (plenty of seasons on them) and springs and she's going back together when I get done with the heads.. I figured as long as everything looked good why replace them?? Big plans for next season so might as well milk one more season out of it..

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Just curious why was the motor took apart with only 25 passes ?

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
some will say to reuse many things..

this can be GOOD

but EACH PERSON HAS DIFFERENT BACKGROUND EXPERIENCE..

and so, .EACH guy could have a different view on each and every part.

issue is, if one ring is bad or one bearing is bad...
you might as well just replace all..since you cannot buy just one ring...or just one main bearing of a SET......

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
dam boosted elky gots big money!! lol
im on a budget, after careful inspection, measuring , etc: if its all good,my shit goes back together
.. sometimes i wont even have to buy gaskets!! HAH

·
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
10,841 Posts
some will say to reuse many things..

this can be GOOD

but EACH PERSON HAS DIFFERENT BACKGROUND EXPERIENCE..

and so, .EACH guy could have a different view on each and every part.

issue is, if one ring is bad or one bearing is bad...
you might as well just replace all..since you cannot buy just one ring...or just one main bearing of a SET......
Very True....EACH OF US HAS DIFFERENT BACKGROUND EXPERIENCE!!!! I BET YOU HALF OF THE FOOLS ON HERE HAVE NEVER EVEN HAD A DAMN MOTOR APART!!! :smt098 :smt082:smt082 Usually with what your doing if all looks good then you should have no issues putting it back in. Good Luck Dude! :smt023

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
i put the parts back in they only have 25runs if it all looks good...normally if mines apart i got something hurt.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Found too many fine metal shaving's in oil during oil change, Was not cleaned good enough when apart, Found one bearing that had "small scratch's" other than that everything checked out very good, Was down on power also so I checked ring gap, Tell me what you think, And no Im not using the guy that put it together.

Top ring gap/2nd ring gap

(1).037 .030
(2).032 .065
(3).037 .037
(4).039 .047/broke on edge of gap
(5).037 .039
(6).032 .038
(7).055 .045
(8).037 .045

These were brand new hellfire's that were supposed to be at .030/.032, For a 300 shot on a 406

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Found too many fine metal shaving's in oil during oil change, Was not cleaned good enough when apart, Found one bearing that had "small scratch's" other than that everything checked out very good, Was down on power also so I checked ring gap, Tell me what you think, And no Im not using the guy that put it together.

(1).037 .030
(2).032 .065
(3).037 .037
(5).037 .039
(6).032 .038
(7).055 .045
(8).037 .045

These were brand new hellfire's that were supposed to be at .030/.032, For a 300 shot on a 406
Hell Fire ring seem to be aggressive on cylinder, We always rehone our cylinders as there is power to be gained with a good hone.

Look this link over
http://www.dartheadstv.com/video/13335

·
Registered
9,943 Posts

(1).037 .030
(2).032 .065
(3).037 .037
(5).037 .039
(6).032 .038
(7).055 .045
(8).037 .045

WHO gapped those rings........WOW.....not good

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If it was mine, Id put a set of rings in it ,and get the gaps correct. I'd break the glaze of the cylinders too. I use a ball hone with oil for lube sometimes, dont cut much at all and leaves a nice finish. Then I go back over the cylinders with scotchbright. JMO

1 - 20 of 25 Posts