Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be steping up from 130MPH to 150 this season. Car handled well at slower speed. Looking for your input on the necessity to ad a wing with the added speed. (My car is a 57 Chevy). Interested in your experience with your ride before and after adding a wing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been 155 in my vega with no wing. The car does move around but not bad. I am thinking about adding a wing but kinda like the no wing look.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I had people tell me that once a Vega gets around 145 it needs a wing, but mine still feels pretty stable at that speed. I'll probably go a little faster next year but hopefully still won't need one.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I had an Opel years ago that went 152 thru the traps and it done fine under power, it was when you lifted it felt like the rear end was lifting off the gorund and would move around quite a bit, put a wing on it and stopped that totally,,, might not work for you but it did for me,,,

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I run the factory wing on my mustang at 160 it doesn't move around any.
<-----
That factory wing has more drag than anything.. If you put a flat wing designed to clean up the air coming off the rear of the car.. You might pickup 2 mph..

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
factory wing on my 68...been 179 and no movement....85 has been 154 with factory short wing,no problems

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'll bet it is pretty dependent on body style. You might try contacting people who are running S/G or S/C with '57 Chevy bodies. I know Sheldon Gecker out of Surprise AZ is one of them, but I haven't seen him post on any forums. You can probably contact him through Hughes Performance (who I believe used to own his car and still sponsors it).

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'll be steping up from 130MPH to 150 this season. Car handled well at slower speed. Looking for your input on the necessity to ad a wing with the added speed. (My car is a 57 Chevy). Interested in your experience with your ride before and after adding a wing.

The only way you could get a bigger set of wings on a 57 Chevy would be to graft on some from a 59 Caddy!! lol

I don't think you'll have too many stability issues, usually with 57's all I see till you get REAL fast, is a deck to tie in the two vertical wings and a 15 degree lip on the end of that!

Just my .02!

·
Registered
708 Posts
That factory wing has more drag than anything.. If you put a flat wing designed to clean up the air coming off the rear of the car.. You might pickup 2 mph..
If its only costing me 2mph and i keep the factory look i think i will keep it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
On my 68 Camaro I have the factory one and I made back to back passes with and with out it. I went 164 mph both times and the stability was the same. On a 57 Chevy, you have plenty of trunk, there is no need for a wing.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
If its only costing me 2mph and i keep the factory look i think i will keep it.
You must REALLY like the look of the stock wing.. Most racers would pay 1000 bucks to pick up 2 mph ;) ..

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
good question as i am stepping up to this winter, been 140 mph in mine hope to go 155 mph this year, i have asked other shoe box owners this ? and most say its the air under the car that makes them move around and not the air off the back so my plans are to lower the whole car and install some kind of grille work done as i have none now. By the way my car gets light in the steering wheel at 135 and faster now, tells me the front has air under it lifting up. good luck and do you have any pics?

·
Registered
38 Posts
my experience with em is light cars need em, heavy cars dont. if i drive a light car it will move around on the big end, put a wing on it and it goes straight as an arrow. heavier cars seem to not need em IMO.

·
Registered
497 Posts
my 68 camaro picked up almost two tenths in the eight mile after i installed a rear wing on it !! was kind of loose before

1 - 20 of 26 Posts