Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 89 Turbo Trans Am 20th Anniversary/Indy Pace Car.

Here is my setup: Precision GT6776e turbo, 65# injectors, Alky Control methanol injection, Walbro pump w/Hot Wire, Accufab regulator, LT1 MAF w/Translator, TurboTweak chip, PowerLogger billet 200r4 trans w/Stagerite manual brake, TCS Billet 9/11 3400-3600 converter. (Stock heads with mild porting and stock cam for now...full P&P big valve heads in the works w/Harland Sharp roller rockers and roller cam).

Car is street driven to local cruises and show, best ET to date is 11.18 @ 119.7 w/1.53 60ft (12 psi off trans brake 24-25# bst), best MPH 11.22 @ 120.18 w/1.55 60ft (10 psi off trans brake 25-26# bst). All was done on 100% stock 22 year old original suspension with M/T 255/50-16 (26"dia) drag radials (15 psi) and with front sway bar still in. I have switched to 295/55-15 (28"dia) M/T drag radials on Weld 15x9" rears and 26x6.00-R15 M/T S/R's on 15x4" fronts. Later this summer will be installing a Currie 9". I'm also in stalling a set of TRZ chrome molly double adjustable rear lowers and a UMI single adjustable panhard bar along with UMI subframe connectors.

Currently my new tires (28") have touched the outer fender a little on the driver side under hard acceleration. Like said the rear suspension is still 22 year old stock stuff and pretty soft. I want to get new shocks for the back ASAP that will stiffen it up and was suggested by some friends to go with Strange ? I could go air bags I suppose...just not sure what to do. The car will evolve over the next several months and eventually get a cage as I am looking to go mid to low 10's...pretty sure it has a 10.99 pass in it now. So please give this newb a hand if you don't mind and help me get my suspension right from the start.

Thanks in advance,
Scott

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I suggest going with the rancho 9000's. They can be found at calvertracing.com. They are listed for 1st gens but they fit 3rd gens. I have these on my 83.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You can even run fox body strange shocks on the back as well, just need to put a clevis in the shock mount.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Scott,
So far the responses have included QA1, Rancho, Comp, Afco and Strange. Confused? The answer is in Your post!
If You think enough of TRZ products to know that is what You want (I agree!) and You will expect their components to perform well, then why not trust them to provide the shocks as well?
Carl

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scott,
So far the responses have included QA1, Rancho, Comp, Afco and Strange. Confused? The answer is in Your post!
If You think enough of TRZ products to know that is what You want (I agree!) and You will expect their components to perform well, then why not trust them to provide the shocks as well?
Carl
Hey Carl, confussed...yes, but yeah I thought about that this evening and plan to give the guys at TRZ a call tomorrow...talked to them before and they were awesome...and yeah looks like they like Strange shocks. I guess my next question will be single or doubles ?

Eventually I will get the TRZ panhard/anti-roll bar setup as it is the nicest I have seen.

Not my best pass but here's a clip from Cecil last Fall, 11-12 lb trans brake launch 1.54 60ft. Car squats pretty hard...but dead hooked every pass...have yet to spin the tires. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikD8TigQJ50

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
305 Posts
Scott,
The singles will help but...
The doubles are a sound investment, You will always be glad You have them.
Hopefully the head work and new cam will get Your combo going with that tight converter. Keep us posted as You progress.
Carl

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
How many times do you want to buy shocks for this car?

If its ONE time, get AFCO double adjustables. They are rebuildable. So if you plan on keeping the car, and end up wanting to put the car in the 8's, or stay where you are, AFCO is your best bet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Spoke with Mike at TRZ this morning...he sells both Strange & AFCO. For my application he recommended the Strange...AFCO are larger in diameter and may cause some clearance issues with my stock suspension and also wheels. I ordered the Strange double adjustable with the coil over option. They can be used with or without the coil overs so I have the option to switch to coil overs as the car progresses.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions and big thanks to Mike at TRZ for the smokin' deal he cut me :D

Will check back in after they are installed.

Scott

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good deal, bet You will like the new DA Strange shocks which can be re-valved or re-built by Strange.
I too prefer the Afco's when applicable, have used both brands and sell both. (see link below)
Carl

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok my DA Strange socks w/coil over option came now I need to pick some coils to start with. Any suggestions...I'm pretty sure I need 14" but not sure what weight.

Thanks,
Scott

1 - 18 of 18 Posts