Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I’m installing the new 9” in the back of my nova. And doing a custom upper shock mount that I want to try out. But my question is is it ok to mount shocks on top of the axle tubes? I understand there will need to be some angle ~15* and most runn it behind the axle. But has anyone mounted on top? Why not? Also thinking of slimming down the gas tank and putting some sliders to bring the leafs in a bit. If that matters

Setup is leaf spring with mini tub
Assasin bars
Th400 w/brake
BB475
My shocks will mount to a cross bar braced with the roll cage. I’m just stuck with where to mount the shocks and why people don’t mount on top. Is it only a clearance issue?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Too Strong, For Too Long.
26,672 Posts
Well I’m installing the new 9” in the back of my nova. And doing a custom upper shock mount that I want to try out. But my question is is it ok to mount shocks on top of the axle tubes? I understand there will need to be some angle ~15* and most runn it behind the axle. But has anyone mounted on top? Why not? Also thinking of slimming down the gas tank and putting some sliders to bring the leafs in a bit. If that matters

Setup is leaf spring with mini tub
Assasin bars
Th400 w/brake
BB475
My shocks will mount to a cross bar braced with the roll cage. I’m just stuck with where to mount the shocks and why people don’t mount on top. Is it only a clearance issue?

Thanks,
Chris
I was gonna say you can do that but just pay attention to the spring rate. Wheel rate is spring rate in that case, until I read it's a leafspring.

You don't wanna do that. You want the damper on the back side of the rear end to dampen the the rap for tune ability.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was gonna say you can do that but just pay attention to the spring rate. Wheel rate is spring rate in that case, until I read it's a leafspring.

You don't wanna do that. You want the damper on the back side of the rear end to dampen the the rap for tune ability.
Ok i figured the “wrap” or angles introduced when launching may have an affect. Ok well there goes that. I’ll go back to the drawing board for location. And I’ll post pics as soon as I get to this. Going to finish one side tub first but I like how I can see what I’m going from underneath to the trunk before I close it up.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I am seeing alot of leaf spring cars going to front mounted shocks. Any input on that?

·
Registered
12,211 Posts

You know what mr wonderful you are full of shit, on my 69 camaro i had mono leaf springs slider/floater boxes to hold the diff to the springs koni shocks mounted in the front of the rear axle with ladder bars, and i could flip it over backwards if i took off the wheelie bars off.

·
26,672 Posts
I am seeing alot of leaf spring cars going to front mounted shocks. Any input on that?
Yeah, It's not ideal because think about it, the pinion has the shaft entering the main body of the shock with the shock mounted on the front side because of the rap at the hit, while at the same time the rear end separates.

If you wanna give the damper/shock the best chance of repeating building force, you mount it on the back side of the rear end because the rap has the shaft exiting the main body of the shock the same as the separation does.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know what mr wonderful you are full of shit, on my 69 camaro i had mono leaf springs slider/floater boxes to hold the diff to the springs koni shocks mounted in the front of the rear axle with ladder bars, and i could flip it over backwards if i took off the wheelie bars off.

Yeah, It's not ideal because think about it, the pinion has the shaft entering the main body of the shock with the shock mounted on the front side because of the rap at the hit, while at the same time the rear end separates.

If you wanna give the damper/shock the best chance of repeating building force, you mount it on the back side of the rear end because the rap has the shaft exiting the main body of the shock the same as the separation does.
Sounds like it would just differ with the double adj shocks. Meaning, if its mounted in the back of the axle it you would have different adjustments than if it were mounted in the front. im curious to see what some of your are running to get a better understanding for my setup.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
During launch the axle wraps up moving the pinion up. You want separation of the rearend and the car to plant the tires correct. So if the shock is in front it is using the force of the axle trying to wrap as a helper in getting separation. That's how I see it anyways. I could be wrong but spring 8n front you are using the compressing force of the shock to get separation. Shock in rear you are trying to get separation from the shock and letting it extend all while trying to prevent it from extending due to axle wrap if that makes sense. The way I think of it is one hand is the diff and the other hand is the body, put a small spring in between and rotate with the bottom hand. What happens? That's shock in front. Now same scenario but put a rubberband tightly around both hands at the wrist and rotate with the bottom hand. What happens? That's shocks in rear. That's how my brain sees it anyways. Could be wrong though.

·
26,672 Posts
The rap with the damper in front of the axle compresses the shock while the rearend separates (extension of shock). So at the hit the distance and speed at which the the shaft in the main body of the shock changes directions isn't ideal for the shock to build force consistently, especially a low technology shock, which most drag race shocks are. I'm not saying it won't work, I'm saying it's not ideal. Ideal, especially with a low technology shock to build force consistently would be long strokes.

The opposite of a shock building force is obviously not building force, or slack! Any hint of slack at the hit can get you like a dog chasing its tail for consistency. It just costs you more money to get where you wanna be. It's a variable.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Most mount the shocks on the back of the housing. Just easier to get to and adjust. On a leaf spring car the shock is not as important as it is on a coil over car. The shock does nothing but act as a damper. When my car had leaf springs I actually raced it one weekend with out the shocks on the car. One of the shock mounts broke on the trip to the track and I was afraid it would act stupid with only one shock working. I just took both off and raced it. I noticed no difference in the way the car worked or handled. I was surprised for sure. It was a ladder bar set up with mono leaf and floater. I since have converted the car to coil overs. The car worked pretty much the same with the leaf and the coil overs. at that time it was a high 10 second car with a manual gearbox.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Most mount the shocks on the back of the housing. Just easier to get to and adjust. On a leaf spring car the shock is not as important as it is on a coil over car. The shock does nothing but act as a damper. When my car had leaf springs I actually raced it one weekend with out the shocks on the car. One of the shock mounts broke on the trip to the track and I was afraid it would act stupid with only one shock working. I just took both off and raced it. I noticed no difference in the way the car worked or handled. I was surprised for sure. It was a ladder bar set up with mono leaf and floater. I since have converted the car to coil overs. The car worked pretty much the same with the leaf and the coil overs. at that time it was a high 10 second car with a manual gearbox.
If you didn’t notice any difference without rear shocks your car was fucked up!

·
slams revolving doors
3,832 Posts
I have my shocks in back of axle. Best way to put them a Cynic has already said.
Get as long of a shock in as you can. It's easy to run out of travel on the shock if the car hits the tires hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts