Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see in the pictures below, I have an issue with my rear spring hangers touching the body. I am sure this is putting the suspension in a bind, and may be the cause of the car riding like a truck, lol.

The car is a '67 Camaro with a Fab-9, Cal-Tracs, and split-monos. I haven't messed with the Cal-Tracs yet, they are untouched from when I purchased the car last year. I was looking at some pics online, and most cars have an inch or two of clearance between the shackle and the body. It almost looks as if the springs are too long, or perhaps have some preload in them, i'm not sure. What do you guys think?

Mike

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Whose split monos are those? Never seen a set with that big ass clamp on there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming they are Calvert's. The car has their whole setup, front 90/10's, rear Rancho's, and their bars.

Mike

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Unless they have changed the clamp they use, that is not what they looked like on mine. These are Smith Racecraft split monos, but they use the same clamp as the Calverts I used to have.
Maybe it's the angle of the pic, but your spring perches look like they are rotated back at an angle also.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Couple things I noticed. I agree, does appear to have quite a bit of angle on the housing. I'd check the pinion angle ONCE YOUR PROBLEM IS FIXED. I'd say you have the wrong springs on the car, but the spring doesn't appear to have much arc left in it either. Could be a combination the wrong springs detached resulting in a longer installed length. Also, you're going to want a little more tire clearance around the wheel opening. If that tire grows a lot (it might not being a radial), you're going to get into the quarter panel and mess up your car. Car looks good though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible the springs are just wore out? I imagine the springs have been on the car for a number of years, as the car was the 2009 PSCA Hot Street(9.60 Index) champion in 2009. It was converted to a street car a few years ago.

Mike

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Maybe it's just the angle but in this photo it looks like the spring is bent down after the clamp and not arched up as it should be... You can see a lot of air between the end of the top spring and the bottom spring...

Also I see the spring perches are not boxed in on the ends and it almost looks like the ends of the perches are bent up because it looks like a lot of air between them and the lowering block, something to look at...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I definitely have a few things I can look at. I'll probably give Calvert a call also and see what they have to say.

Mike

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Good call, see what they say ..... I would try to swing the 295 DR's in there also, those 315's are tight to say the least.... besides being tight front n rear it looks like you have some witness marking on the inside section width

Really dancing on the edge ..... :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
After looking at this a little more, is it possible that the rear end was moved to the rear in order to center the wheel/tire in the wheel well? Perhaps to avoid trimming the wheel well to fit the 315's? I was thinking that by lengthening the CalTrac bar, you could affect the axle location or at least rotate it which affect the leaf spring and the shock angle. I am planning on switching to a 275 anyway so if I adjust the bars correctly, maybe the axle will return to the correct location, and the rear shackles along with it, hopefully moving away from the body. What do you think?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. Looks to me like the caltrac bar is preloaded way too much,,,causing the rearend to twist. Readjust them to 0 preload and see how it lines up.
We had to lengthen my caltrac bars a bit when I moved my rear back 5/8". But it shouldnt move the entire leaf spring back. You just drill a new hole in the spring perch and locate it on the leaf spring center bolt. Leafs stay in the same spot, rearend moves back.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That shackle looks to be all over the tailpanel at ride height. That says the spring is too long. Could the center pin be broken and letting the two halves slide? I've never messed with split monos, they do use a center pin, correct?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Looks like its the wrong shackle? To long?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Looks like its the wrong shackle? To long?
Now that Ron mentions it, those shackles do appear to be modified and on top of that you can see that on one side the modified end is bolted to the spring and on the other side of the car the modified end is bolted to the frame...

I'd start by getting a new set of stock shackles for the car and I'd still look at those leafs because they look bent...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up ordering a set of Speedway sliders to replace the shackles. The plan is to move the springs back to the stock location, as I have just swapped the 315's for 275's. Calvert gave me some measurements for the springs also, so I can check that as well.

Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts