Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rear end options are there for a h body? I’m looking at a 79 sunbird and the rearend has me on the fence on getting the car. I seen some Vegas with leaf spring not sure if it’s a conversion or some came like that. What have you guys done. I’m looking to run a 700 hp small block. Do the later cars still have the leaf spring mounts in the bodies or are they gone. Trying to keep this on a budget.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I believe some of those came with an 8.5 10 bolt and if it does have one then with minimal upgrades it will handle what you throw at it. The early 8.5s has 28 spline axles and starting in mid 80s they switched to 30 spline. The ring gear is only slightly smaller in an 8.5 compared to a 12-bolt and the pinions are the exact same size so that gives a little comparison to strength just to give you an idea.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That would have a 7.5 but it is even weaker than that because they had a reduced pinion diameter. No H body had leaf springs. Early cars had a triangulated four link and starting in either 75 or 76 they used a torque arm setup. There is nothing bolt in out there that I know of. The 8.5 out of a s-10 is popular for these cars but fabrication is required.

·
Registered
808 Posts
That should be the torque arm set up if it is like I had a '76 Monza I had many years ago. It probably 350hp at best maybe less and it would spin at will and that was with the 3.08 gear. Unless you plan on mini tubbing it you probably won't be able to hook it enough to break stuff anyway. LOL I don't see any way to keep the fabrication to a very minimum. Also 700hp small block and budget just don't really go in the same conversation, that much hp will break lots of stuff. Good luck on your build. There is an H-Body group on facebook also that you might look up.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Had a buddy years ago with one took an 8.5 out of a GN and removed tubes from both his rear and GN rear and put h body tubes and axles in GN center

1 - 6 of 6 Posts