Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a dana 60 in a camaro and the car is real hard to push on flat surface. how do i check to see it the housing on the rearend is bent or bowed.
thanks, chuck

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
you may be able to see it just with the tire wear but if you pull it out and measure it with the tires on and rotate the housing you should see a change in the measurement does this make sense to you

·
Registered
343 Posts
cut two pieces of plywood (make sure they are flat, warped shit wont work) and place them against the rear tires and measure toe. its not perfect but if the housing is bent so bad you have trouble pushing the car, you will see it.

·
Registered
14,989 Posts
As 10sec.et said but we use angle aluminum. More likely it is out of square with the front end, lots of times after years of adjusting the rears one tire will wind up ahead of the other and out of square with the front. So have a look there. Dana 60's have the tubes from hell, i can't imagine one of them bent. A 9" ford, well, they come bent to save time and aggravation.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,046 Posts
As 10sec.et said but we use angle aluminum. More likely it is out of square with the front end, lots of times after years of adjusting the rears one tire will wind up ahead of the other and out of square with the front. So have a look there. Dana 60's have the tubes from hell, i can't imagine one of them bent. A 9" ford, well, they come bent to save time and aggravation.
That's funny!

If you have Pro Gears then you better check them too. When they start to go your car will get hard to push also. I would think you can also put the car on jackstands and put the trans in nuetral and rotate the driveshaft by hand. Take the wheels off and make sure the brakes are not binding on you.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is this a complete car? If so, I'd take the driveshaft out first to determine if it's in the trans or the wheels. Also if you haven't...check the front bearings, brakes, ect. for ease of rotating unless there some specific reason you know it's in the rear. Lorne

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply's. gona get some angle iron and check the rear and rear to front wheels and go from there. i made up some front spindles so i could use the camaro struts without the 150lb per wheel assemblies that came from the factory. 86 camaro. passenger wheel is set back 2". wouldnt think that would make it hard to push though. oh and it was hard to push last year, it didnt just start sinse i make the front end components. front disks wilwood, rear drums.

·
I kill parts
10,101 Posts
150# per wheel assemblies? Stock spindles, brakes, and struts didn't weight that complete off a 3rd gen. The stock brakes(rotors and calipers) far outweigh the other pieces, and switching from them to wilwoods barely shaves 30# off total.

Caster and/or front-to-rear offset can indeed change the drag.

We bent a Dana axle tube in the old car, but they're damb sure tough.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya the 150# was an exageration, sorry to bend your guitar string. there damn heavy though...
so if the pass wheel is two inches behind the drivers (toward the rearend) but there both set on the same castor/camber it is going to be harded to roll.? just wondering? when turning i could see one wheel fighting the other.

·
I kill parts
10,101 Posts
Caster and/or front-to-rear offset can indeed change the drag

I don't see how castor will affect drag.....explain.
I shouldn't much in a perfectly straight line on a prefectly flat surface, but due to surface irregularities and side to side differences due to weight/hieght/body roll it can easily effect how one tire is sitting on the ground in relation to the other.

I've never really looked at the physics involved, but knowing that uneven front castor can cause a pull to one side or the other it's not hard to see where decent sized rear tires and a locked rear can pronouce that as a rolling "drag".

·
Registered
14,989 Posts
Front to rear offset (stagger, where one front tire is ahead of the other) is a pretty much a desireable condition where you launch from the rearmost front tire and trip the beam with the foremost front tire. It is such an advantage that NHRA limits us to how much of a stagger (i think it is 1", but heck 2" is close enough for me). And that should have no effect on rolling resistance.

·
I kill parts
10,101 Posts
Front to rear offset (stagger, where one front tire is ahead of the other) is a pretty much a desireable condition where you launch from the rearmost front tire and trip the beam with the foremost front tire. It is such an advantage that NHRA limits us to how much of a stagger (i think it is 1", but heck 2" is close enough for me). And that should have no effect on rolling resistance.
If you have much front end lift/rise out of the beams it will also have little to no effect on the roll-out/beams.

1-2" is usually ok, drastic differences can vary the weight enough to monkey things up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts