1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Combo:
Mostly street car, occasional 'no ET' strip 3-4 times a year
'69 Camaro no tubs,15x27x11.5 QT Pros
509 w/F1R, ~15 psi (old shortblock was a 462)
Cal-Trac setup
Ran (1st time at strip) 10.5 @ 137, through the lights around 7,200...lazy trigger (60") but newbie strip driver!
Dana 60
Coan converter (with 462) stalled ~3,700

The rub is this. Currently running a 4.10; the only other gears readily available for that rear are 3.73 or 3.55.

What do you all think? Coming from years of NA with a 4.56, a 3-series gear seems low but...the 509 was pushing over 750 ft lbs at 4,500. 100 ft lbs more than the 462. Pretty much thinking my combo is not going to tolerate that 4.10.

I've searched the site, saw a lot of good stuff but it was either turbo or NA...not a lot on Procharged.

Give a clue...and thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I've been told to go down from my 3.90 to 3.55
The one and only trip I made down the strip was just a long burnout.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the street, I have to pedal it like mad in 1st...second is a 60-70 MPH instant rev-limit event...sometimes. If it's warm out, I'm OK after first but if it lets loose...wow.

At the strip, it hooks pretty good. If the track is prepped right, no slippage at all. I love my Hoosiers!

But all that was with the 462...this is definitely a different animal, at least according to the dyno. Figures show ~15% torque and HP increase across the board so if that translates into faster times, I need a bigger tire (a problem with clearance) or a taller gear.

3.55....hmmmmm. Sure would be nice for cruising!

·
Registered
287 Posts
355 is the way to goe, it will settle it down on the launch and be great for the street as well, I am running a 3.42 with a 29.5 tall tire and the car still 1.33 60' and is close to running in the 8's.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds very interesting, may I ask, what are you running? I know the best I can hope for is likely mid 9's...even that scares me a bit given that I'm not running a fully caged car. No signs of body stress but I keep an eye on it...

So...two votes for 3.55!

Sure would solve the problem of longer drives on the street...lol.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhh, Mr. Tomato, I am honored.

No glide, it's a T-400. Street car...and the trans is a very old friend of many years. Kinda like the car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts