Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting closer to finishing up my TT foxbody project and now at the point of getting the tranny redone with a new convertor and rear end gears.. Im running a TT 347 with a built 400.. It's just going to be a street car with possibly a pass here or there just for fun with some buddies but its a 100% street dedicated car.. Rear tire will be in the 27" range so I was thinking of running a set of 3.08's in the rear to cruise in and really let those turbo's spool when I hop on it.. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17,768 Posts
Getting closer to finishing up my TT foxbody project and now at the point of getting the tranny redone with a new convertor and rear end gears.. Im running a TT 347 with a built 400.. It's just going to be a street car with possibly a pass here or there just for fun with some buddies but its a 100% street dedicated car.. Rear tire will be in the 27" range so I was thinking of running a set of 3.08's in the rear to cruise in and really let those turbo's spool when I hop on it.. Thoughts?
If it's a 8.8" Rear i think a 3.27 Gear would be nice with the 27" Tire!!

·
Registered
16,196 Posts
I'm running a 3.50 on a 275 pro (28") and it goes down the highway about 2800rpm at 68mph. Not too bad. At 3400# it also 60' at 1.25.

·
Registered
124 Posts
3.27's on a 28" tire here. Love it on the street. I wouldn't be afraid of 3.08's either...not sure how much power your going to be making but I'll bet the car will be faster on the street with the 3.08's. Gets pretty tough to hook over about 600rwhp (at least mine anyways). Longer gears seem to help.

At the track I've only been 1.40 in the 60' so far but that was only leaving on 7lbs and there is plenty more in it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's a 8.8" Rear i think a 3.27 Gear would be nice with the 27" Tire!!
I run a 3.25 gear with a 26" tall tire and love it (aod).
I'm running a 3.50 on a 275 pro (28") and it goes down the highway about 2800rpm at 68mph. Not too bad. At 3400# it also 60' at 1.25.
3.27's on a 28" tire here. Love it on the street. I wouldn't be afraid of 3.08's either...not sure how much power your going to be making but I'll bet the car will be faster on the street with the 3.08's. Gets pretty tough to hook over about 600rwhp (at least mine anyways). Longer gears seem to help.

At the track I've only been 1.40 in the 60' so far but that was only leaving on 7lbs and there is plenty more in it.
You guys mini tub at all? Found that my body is a touch twisted so Im just going to bite the bullet and have a local chassis shop take the current subframes off and put in some thru-floor subframes with a 6 point cage with street bars on it so I don't have to hear my wife bitch and moan about getting on and out of it.. Was thinking of throwing in a mini tub while it was there while they were at it but it doesn't seem like you gain all that much with a mini tub on these foxbody's unless you move the LCA.. Hard to find a solid answer on this and what the widest tire that you can fit in a mini tub..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With offset lowers,I fit a 28x13.5 QTP on a 12" wheel.
What are you running for lowers and coil overs now? I have hotchkis CA’s and coilovers out back right now.. Not sure if I’d have to ditch that whole setup if I mini tubbed..

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I ran a 3.27 on a 5-speed and it drove really nice. I liked the long 1st gear in traffic.
Then I got my ass busted.. I went with a 3.55 because I do want highway mileage, but you don't have overdrive, so I would just run what your cam wants or at least a 3.73

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Any street or other racing involved?? If so I would look at starting line ratio(SLR) and if it's too low maybe consider a 2nd gear launch capable valve body. You can get away with alot running a small cube short stroke engine like a 347 or 363. I have a customer that has a 363/turboglide(1.47 low gear) that runs mid teen 60fts on TNT track prep and it takes 20+ psi launch boost to run those 60ft times. It almost never spins the tires and power wheelies on occasion but nothing a little work on the tuning/boost curve won't fix so never really an issue. He has a 6.04 SLR. I have a even steeper 5.85 SLR in my car but it makes a lot more power so I can't get away with even half of what he can launch with. It's all about the entire combo working on your available traction whether it's on street or track.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any street or other racing involved?? If so I would look at starting line ratio(SLR) and if it's too low maybe consider a 2nd gear launch capable valve body. You can get away with alot running a small cube short stroke engine like a 347 or 363. I have a customer that has a 363/turboglide(1.47 low gear) that runs mid teen 60fts on TNT track prep and it takes 20+ psi launch boost to run those 60ft times. It almost never spins the tires and power wheelies on occasion but nothing a little work on the tuning/boost curve won't fix so never really an issue. He has a 6.04 SLR. I have a even steeper 5.85 SLR in my car but it makes a lot more power so I can't get away with even half of what he can launch with. It's all about the entire combo working on your available traction whether it's on street or track.
All street for this car.. Very little, if any racing with this car.. Maybe here and there to have fun but nothing too serious or competitive.. I bought this car as a stress reliever to cruise in while we upgrade the chassis and drivetrain of my Camaro, and it didn't work out that way.. This car ended up being a major half asses build, with a bad motor and now a twisted body.. So now the "stress reliever" car has to be rewired, drivetrain freshened and done right, along with the suspension.. Really just a nightmare but it has to be done right and be safe as Ill be cruising around with my wife and daughter a lot.. I definitely value your opinion as Im new to these turbo cars..

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I'm going to say 3.08's for a mostly street car..

I'm assuming you're not going to be running two monster turbos with a monster cam.. So two quick spooling smaller units will probably have your 347 making 700 ft lbs of torque pretty early on pump gas or E85..

And if you're running the stock th400 with it's 2.48 first gear, and any kind of converter.. First gear is going to be a root'n toot'n son-of-a-gun on the street..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts