Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does rear coilover help with traction over the conventional coil spring on lower control arm? Is it a no brainier for a high horsepower car on small tires (28 x 10.50's) or is it debatable? The more input the better.

Thanks

·
Registered
788 Posts
The main reason it is done is for tire clearance but if you are running a 28x10.5 most cars will fit that without having to go to a coil over.
One of the main reasons is the adjustability that you have in the wide range of coil spring weights and ride height adjustability. With the quality of double adjustable shocks they have now and with the kit that wolfe sells, that allows you to use a coil over style spring on the control arm and adjuster at the top to control ride height, I would say one is just as good as the other if clearance is not an issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had some people tell me that having the spring on the lower control are works against the suspension and coilovers let it move freely? I guess that's why I am asking.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Anytime you can get a specific spring rate for your setup your ahead of the game just that much further. Although if your using a conventional style spring in the factory location I would say the shocks play more of a role than the conventional spring so long as it's rate is within reason for your setup. Not saying you can get away with a H&R road race 1100lb spring rate and use a double adjustable shock and still have excellent control or results, but I would be more so worried about the shocks if the car sits with conventional springs than the springs themselves.

There is a couple of options I prefer one to the other in a conventional setup but that could be different from chassis to chassis as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts