Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do trunk vehicles need an added metal bulkhead added to them if they have a fuel cell mounted in the trunk? Even if they have all factory seats and bulkhead in position?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Yes, rear seat is not the ideal bulkhead.

Read the rule book.

You got same answers from other site, are you looking for different answers or you simply don't want to install bulkhead per NHRA spec?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, rear seat is not the ideal bulkhead.

Read the rule book.

You got same answers from other site, are you looking for different answers or you simply don't want to install bulkhead per NHRA spec?
I came to a bigger site to get more input. Nothing wrong with that is there?

Does anyone have a link to the rule book online because i am yet to get a true answer just what people think the answer is so far..

I have seen and owned a few car with fuel cells in the trunk and this is the 1st time i have heard of this.. Have never given greif at the track before about it and hasn't came up until i showed pics of the trunk online so now i am trying to find the rules not speculation..

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this..

Tanks:​
When permitted by class regulations, fuel tanks located
outside body and/or frame must be enclosed in a steel tube frame
constructed of minimum 1 1/4-inch O.D. x .065-inch chrome moly
or .118-inch mild-steel tubing. All fuel tanks must be isolated from
the driver’s compartment by a firewall, completely sealed to
prevent any fuel from entering the driver’s compartment. All fuel
tanks must have a pressure cap and be vented outside of car
body. A positive-locking screw-on fuel-tank cap is mandatory on all
cars. Insulated fuel tanks prohibited. When used, fuel cells must
have a metal box protecting the part of the fuel cell that is outside
of body lines or trunk floor, excluding hose-connection area in rear.

Non-metallic fuel cells or tanks must be grounded to frame.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I came to a bigger site to get more input. Nothing wrong with that is there?
No not really, but it certainly seem like you want to hear different answers.

Does anyone have a link to the rule book online because i am yet to get a true answer just what people think the answer is so far..
LOL...more than 2 different people just gave you true answer and you're still not satisfy.

Good Luck with your build.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got their opinoin no real answers yet until i found the rule book online and it is still a grey erea it seems.. I will do it if need be but i would rather not put one in at this time.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I got their opinoin no real answers yet until i found the rule book online and it is still a grey erea it seems.. .

wow, that is kind of insulting.

It seem like you don't trust real racer(s) who've done this in a long time.

YBBitch:

Grey area....gimme a break...:roll:

I'm done with this...

YBBitch:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should of never started really.

You gave your opinion one place i came here for others.. Nothing like a selfrightous person to ruin someone's thread...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, that is kind of insulting.

It seem like you don't trust real racer(s) who've done this in a long time.

YBBitch:

Grey area....gimme a break...:roll:
As for people that have done it a long time yu have no clue how long i have been racing.. It is comments like that that make people ask others because you are an ASSumer...

Thanks for the help though.. ;)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
You found the rule and it's not confusing. There is another rule about the same bulkhead being required if the battery is in the trunk. Just because some tech guy didn't bust you in the past doesn't mean much. All you need is a sheet of .024 steel or .032 aluminium behind the seat and under the speaker deck. All fuel tanks must be isolated from
prevent any fuel from entering the driver’s compartment.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
You found the rule and it's not confusing. There is another rule about the same bulkhead being required if the battery is in the trunk. Just because some tech guy didn't bust you in the past doesn't mean much. All you need is a sheet of .024 steel or .032 aluminium behind the seat and under the speaker deck. All fuel tanks must be isolated from
You mean vinyl isn't a good isolator? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Shit, that solves it... I'm saving weight now. All steel panels are getting replaced by this new fangled fuel/fire proof vinyl.

Where might I buy such a space age material?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
As for people that have done it a long time yu have no clue how long i have been racing.. It is comments like that that make people ask others because you are an ASSumer...

Thanks for the help though.. ;)

LMAO...very funny...if you "claim" you're a racer or have been racing for awhile then you should know the rules or purchase rule book.

How pathetic...:p

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Shit, that solves it... I'm saving weight now. All steel panels are getting replaced by this new fangled fuel/fire proof vinyl.

Where might I buy such a space age material?
How about fire suit? :smt115

Get couple XXX Large suit and spread it out to cover bulkhead area.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LMAO...very funny...if you "claim" you're a racer or have been racing for awhile then you should know the rules or purchase rule book.

How pathetic...:p
Pathetic is someone following someone around the internet forums over tech questions.. :smt039

Like i said the car has been this way for years and multiple tracks. Never heard of this until someone mentioned online the other day. When it comes to the rules it just says there should be a bulkhead barrier it doesn't say what it should be.. Granted metal one would be the best but further looking thru the rules You could use other materiels.

Firewall must provide a
bulkhead between the engine and/or fuel tank and driver
compartment. All openings must be sealed with aluminum or steel.
In certain instances, fiberglass, carbon fiber, or other composites
may be used. See Class Requirements or consult NHRA. Use of​
magnesium prohibited.
A Fire Blanket behind the factory seat on the inside might not be a bad idea..

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Not sure why you seem so opposed to the rule but do what you want. You apparently haven't seen any race cars on fire in your racing experiences like I have. Fiberglas won't keep the flames away long and aluminium isn't much better. You got seats and carpet giving off toxic fumes, fueling the fire and you don't seem worried. Good luck with that if you catch fire.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No were did i say i was opposed to it. I was just trying to figure out the rules as i never heard it before or ran into this issue.. It is a wise thing to have and i can see that..

Do i want to do it no not really but i do want the car to pass tech any were i go. Granted it is a grudge car and most tracks i go to are laxed on tech that isn't the point.. As long as i can make it happen and keep a stockish appearance and not get rid of any of the factory stuff i will be happy..

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is the IHRA rule period, two choices .024 steel or .032 aluminum.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts