Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of putting a 10 pt cage in my stock rear frame rail 68 Camaro. Where do you guys mount the rear bars?

·
Registered
752 Posts
through the package tray welded to 6x6 plates that are welded to the floor directly on top of the frame rails, I like to get them as far to the rear of the trunk as I can but they don't need to be to pass inspection.

·
fabricator
1,172 Posts
Either that or weld a bar side to side inside the frame rails in the rear just in front of the rear body panel. This also gives you a place to mount a chute to later as well. This way your rear bars are not out quite as wide. If you do it this way, be sure to plate the insides of the frame rails where you put this bar. I do them both ways, just giving you another option.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
through the package tray welded to 6x6 plates that are welded to the floor directly on top of the frame rails, I like to get them as far to the rear of the trunk as I can but they don't need to be to pass inspection.

This is the way my 67 is done, Was also able to weld a bar between them at a later date to move the shock location.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Griffin, could you post some pics of the rear frame cross bar? I'm in the process of putting a new 1 piece floor in the car now. In about a week I'll be starting the cage project. I've had this car 25 yrs and would like to do it right the first time. Any other pics are welcome (interior pics, etc). For the record, the car is a mini tubbed all steel, leaf spring-caltrac setup with sliders. I have a bar running through the frame rails, directly behind the axle for the shock mount and would like to add some support to that bar with the cage also. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damit gearhead LOL, now I'm going to have to take the dash out of the car to make the front pillar bars look nice like yours. I wasn't planning on putting them through the dash but I'm going to now for sure! Thanks for the pics! VERY nice!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Prob in the future, I'm guessing the car should be in the high-mid 8s. It has gone 9.44 @ 145 with alot of other issues with the old engine...I'm hoping for mid-lower 9s with the new engine N/A, and then have at it with the spray...

·
fabricator
1,172 Posts
Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner with pics. I tried to find some of one of the Camaros, but I couldn't find any pics of the trunk areas. Here is one on a Mustang. Basically I do the same thing only I often leave the factory trunk floor in the Camaros.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Griffin, thanks for the pic! It looks like you have a bar coming off the top of the shock bar, going thru the trunk floor. Where does the other end of this bar mount? I'm planning on doing my car like your pic you posted, with the rear bar moved forward to save the trunk floor.

·
fabricator
1,172 Posts
Griffin, thanks for the pic! It looks like you have a bar coming off the top of the shock bar, going thru the trunk floor. Where does the other end of this bar mount? I'm planning on doing my car like your pic you posted, with the rear bar moved forward to save the trunk floor.
I often do a rear halo type system. The bars off the shock bar go up to that. Then two bars go back to the rear like I talked about earlier. It works very well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts