Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was racing this weekend and was playing with the timing a little. I took Monte's nitrous class a while back and hadn't played with the timing much. I have been just tweaking the airfuel target to get the plugs cleaner first. I have never had a heat mark on a plug yet, so I decided to add some timing and see if it liked it. I added 1 degree at a time as Monte teaches and I couldn't really tell much difference, so I added another one. I pulled the plugs and actually had a timing (heat mark) on the plug, but my MPH was down 2 mph. So, like Monte says on here and in his class, the motor just didn't like it. So, I pulled the timing back out and it picked back up. So, just tuning by the timing mark in the middle of the electrode isn't always right. I was surprised that mine liked to be off the electrode, but oh well.

I ran a new personal best of 5.49 @129 mph w/ 1.30 60ft. Motor is a 434sbc, 10.5 compression, Edlebrock Victor ram manifold, RHS Chad Speir ported 230cc heads, FAST XFI with 2 EZEFI throttle bodies, 2 ZEX Perimeter plates, car weighed 3080 race ready and on 275 MT drag radials.
Thanks for the class Monte! Now I need to get the 60ft down!

·
2013 KING OF THE STREET
1,706 Posts
the Monte Smith class is a good class!!!!! good job this weekend ron!!! wish i could have made it. im still down with in my back..

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it could be, I am runing NGK -10's and am spraying 1600lbs/hr of nitrous. That should be good for 400hp. I wanted to make sure I was safe from detonation.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
You would be amazed at the people that just have to have that mark in a certain spot. On mine if you see the mark, it's started to sizzle the strap.

Every motor wants something different, trying to put a timing mark somehwere in particular is as ridiculous as saying to pull 2 degrees for every 50hp worth of nitrous.

Will they both work on some combinations? Yes, but not the end all be all by any means.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
If i see any timing marks on (MY) plugs, my vaccum will be in the negitve zone. "not good". Wish i met Monte BEFORE i wasted 4 sets of pistons in 1 season. The Racepak was my best investment ever and we learn more every run with it. I Highly recommend it as a (MUST HAVE) in this game. Yes, its alittle expensive but, you will loose alot less and gain alot more in the same amount of time. Again, Monte was the one who told me to get it. I Wish i did from the beginning. I WAS guilty of chasing the timing mark also.. no more..Vac/MPH data saves money. Engines are alot more effient these days then before. Less fuel & less timing seems to be the new trend.
Set our new personal best this weekend with a 1.10 60' @ 3366# with just a plate and NO timing marks at all. Note, just saying "OUR" does not like/need timing but some do....Find out slowly what your combo runs best at and then see where "if any' your timing mark is. Start low.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Is this an indicator that you might need to change the heat range of the plug?
A range hotter plug, might show you more heat on the strap, but to what advantage is that???? There is no power in a plug, it just lights the fire and if the motor runs fine on the cold plug, it keeps itself clean and the car does not load up, or run poorly at low speed, other than seeing some heat on the strap, a hotter plug is no advantage. As I say all the time, I don't care where the heat is on the strap, there is no "magic" spot. I simply run the timing where the motor wants it and the plug is what it is, as far as how the heat looks.

Monte

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I have a good friend with a relatively run of the mill sbf, and he started this year tuning his car slowly and conservatively. He has always been fast, and was a start with the big jets kind of guy. And had a lot of trouble doing things this way.

But this year we were creeping up on everything and believe it or not he hasn't changed the plugs but once all year. Spraying 40 and bigger nitrous jets in the fogged. 44 I think is the biggest. Small tire fairmont, runs 5.30s on one gun and small carb.

Bottom line is he has been strictly tuning by mph and weather, and hasn't needed to pull the plugs all the damn time. And it's probably a good thing, because he has never had to trust the plug or piss the motor off. If he makes a change, and the mph moves, he chases it with timing either way. Working out great for him this year and he hasn't hurt it and been in lots of final rounds and took home some money. Everyone says the plug is the final destination (me included) but I think the mph and vacuum is the most crucial. My car ran it's best ever Et and mph a few weeks ago, and i was surprised by the lack of "heat" in the strap. Every engine truly is different and I guess listening to what it tells you is a much better way than, strictly relying on one way of tuning or the other.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Great thread!Good info as I also don't see a timing mark and have tuned by mph.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm new to nitrous and was just wondering as far as vacuum what are you looking at.Is it just to make sure theres no ring failure and blowby?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts