Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm ready to buy my son his first car. He want a fox body mustang but with the price of gas not sure that's a good buy. I'm looking at a 87 turbo coupe Tbird but kinda feel like shit I can't get him a V8. My old man got me one at 16 I wish I could return the favor to him. Anyone with this issue?

·
Banned
26,908 Posts
Not to ruin your parade, but get him something that is almost worthless...like a Honda Civic or something. Why??...because the majority of teenagers usually wreck their first car....sometimes their 2nd one too, before they really learn how to drive.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
well my parents made me buy my first car (s10). worked from about 12 years old and bought it when i was 14 and had it ready to drive when i got my license. dad helped me put a v8 in it my senior year and i appriceate that truck so much. im 20 now and wouldn trade that truck for nothin. you can always do somethin like that lol

may not care but here's the truck

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 77 trans am my first car that was nice. Maybe I was just lucky I didn't wreck that

·
Registered
486 Posts
I say it depends on how he treats his things? If you think he would actually take care of his car, just get him a cheap stockish foxbody and make him work for his gas money.

My first was a 93 4cyl mustang(totaled) then 6cyl 90 ranger, and now that is 351/ turbo powered. LOL

·
Stackin' plates
13,859 Posts
Make him buy and build his own fuckin' car, if not he wont appreciate it and might hurt himself.

Ive been (slowly) building my POS dart for 3 years, my dad helps on little parts but I paid for the car and all the big shit and its made me appreciate it that much more.:smt102

·
Medium Pimpin!
8,852 Posts
I had to pay for my 1st car. I was only allowed to use my parents cars for learners permit driving and to take the test. I was pissed at the time but watching friends of mine whose parents bought them cars and how those cars were beaten to death i totally understand why they did it.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If he wants a fox body, find him a nice 4cyl. like mentioned and help him with things like paint and body work, interior, tire and wheel and suspension upgrades. These are things that can be done to a slow 4cyl. over a year or 2 and then when you feel he's ready, do a V8 swap. It can be what he wants, and still make the both of you happy as well as provide a project to work on together.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
My parent's bought a 1973 Mercedes Diesel four door. It was $1500. My dad and I spent alot of time working on that car. That were times I will never forget and also that friggen diesel would get passed by its shadow sometimes. I had alot of fun times working on that thing with him and as hard as I tried the diesel kept me out of trouble.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I had to pay for my 1st car. I was only allowed to use my parents cars for learners permit driving and to take the test. I was pissed at the time but watching friends of mine whose parents bought them cars and how those cars were beaten to death i totally understand why they did it.
Same deal here. Guys I was graduating with (in '71) were getting new Boss Mustangs and Z-28s and SS Chevelles for graduation. I bought my first car for fifty bucks. '63 Bug with a '59 motor. It was the perfect first car for a teenager. Wouldn't spin the tires in wet leaves or go fast enough to get me in trouble and hardly used any gas (like it mattered back then) and required zero maintenance. I put an 8-track in it with a second battery (12v) to run it and I was all set.

I don't know what the modern equivalent of a '63 Bug would be - I guess there isn't one. You can't even change your oil today for fifty bucks.

·
LSx The World
4,035 Posts
my first car was an 11 sec camaro that I never got to drive my dad made me sell it. I ended up with a stock 307 olds and drove it for about a year before he let me put a 350 in it

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
A nice 4 cyl fox body great foundation to build from ...... Go fast parts. Just look at the SVO......

·
Not a Hemi!
1,517 Posts
I bought my Daughter a 2001 Ford Focus, she played bumper cars with someone 3 months after she got it and totaled it a month later. I will not be buying her any more cars. :( She was 21 when she got it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
If he is responsible, let him get what he wants but don't buy it for him. Let him get a job and pay for the gas/insurance. If he really wants it, he'll work his butt off to keep it.

My dad wanted me to buy a VW Bug......I wanted an SS Chevelle. I worked all summer saved the $$ and after enough fighting, got the car. He paid my insurance for my graduation present and I had 3 jobs to pay for the repairs/gas. T remember borrowing money for repairs but always paid it back.

My second car 2 years later was a two year old IROC. Dad wouldn't co-sign a loan and because I had no credit and I paid 16% interest. After a year he helped me refinance for 12% and I paid the $3000 a year insurance by myself cause thats what it was. I made $7.00 and hour and basically looked at the car cause I was too poor to put gas in it.

20 years later I am a responsible adult and I still have the Chevelle :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
I agree with the other opinions.
Get him a beater to start with and see how he treats it. You never know. Went through this with all 3 kids.

The car is great leverage to help keep kids in line too.
Bad grades or bad behavior or tickets and the car is gone.
A guy I know used to put a club on the steering wheel when his son was out of line. :D

For girls a car is great leverage against undesireable boyfriends too.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts