Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
i just go by how much heat on a pass the motor picks up..;)

i like to see 15*-20* on a pass and it'll zerox e.t. & mph run's every pass...this is with a alky carb..never read a plug and never will....temp gauge tells me..:p

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Just wondering; do you read plugs differently on a injected alky motor? Are there any articles on this like the one for reading nitrous plugs?
To answer your questrion directly, yes you read them different then a plug used in a gas motor. With methanol you can be really fat and still see almost no color. Run it lean and you will see very nice specks of aluminum on the porcelain from your pistons! EGT's are one of the best things to tune with. Start fat and slowly lean down from there. One thing with methanol, make sure your water temp is like 170ish whe you hit the water box.
Later this weekend I will look for some articles I had.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
I was told by the Champion man at Indy one year, the best way was to pull the header, the exhaust valve should have 1/4 to 3/8 inch of the white exhaust on the back of the valve

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I should have told everyone what this thing is. It's acually a friends BBF with alky injection in a pullin truck:smt119! We think it's pretty close on the tune, just want to make sure we don't kill it. Thanks again guys. Kenny

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Alcohol plug reading is a little more tricky than gas. The ground strap timing read is the same as gas. But that says nothing about the air/fuel. Also using the EGT reads can be very misleading along with engine temp. Mike Canter wrote a very good article, hopefully the link below will work.
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-alcohol-spark-plugs.html

Blessings...........Ron.

·
Registered
556 Posts
i just go by how much heat on a pass the motor picks up..;)

i like to see 15*-20* on a pass and it'll zerox e.t. & mph run's every pass...this is with a alky carb..never read a plug and never will....temp gauge tells me..:p
I assume this is while running the pump, with the fan off during the run?

-Tanner

Oh, and by the way...FordSux::-gay

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
I assume this is while running the pump, with the fan off during the run?

-Tanner

That would be correct..;) motor will cool down on the return road..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts