Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ray,
Caught part of a promo this morning on my 1 1/2 hr drive to work. I dont know if you watch War Stories with Oliver North on Fox or not, I catch it every now and then. Anyway, he had a promo on about the episode coming this Saturday night at 9pm EST. It is about a very early battle in WWII that involved the Canadians. From what I was able to catch it sounded like a pretty bad deal, the Canadian troops went down fighting to a man pretty much. He said it was kept very quite at the time. Also had a brief clip from an American that signed on in the Canadian Military to go fight and lost his American Citizenship. The U.S. had not declared war at the time and he violated the Nuetrality Act and so he lost his citizenship. Sounded like it may a pretty good episode to catch.

·
Registered
40,775 Posts
Americans flew with Chenault in the late '30s in China as the "Flying Tigers" in P-39s. Did they lose their citizenship? I doubt it, Roosevelt was instrumental in getting that one put together.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.

I think I know the story, almost an entire New Foundland Regiment was wiped out. If it is the one, it will mess you up seeing the story, I have goose bumps thinking about it. I was doing ok until they interviewed the Germans that were there, and they were messed up from the battle, I dont think any of them took a causlity.

It sort of stemmed from Canadians being stationed in Britian for most of the war, not allowed to fight. General consensus was the British didnt consider us worthy. (Even after we spearheaded the battle in the Boer War). So the Canadians ran around Britian getting drunk and causing all sorts of trouble. So they finally sent our unworthy butts into battle.

Once we got in, we had big chips on our shoulders, and wouldnt quit. Too date we have never given an inch of ground in battle. Taken over 80% killed or wounded causility counts 50 plus times. Twice been abandoned by allied forces, once in Festerburt (sp) when the Germans first used Mustard Gas. Screwed them right up when they found a spread out Canadian line with piss soaked hankerchiefs covering their faces. Everyone else had retreated. Second time was the PPCLI in Korean War, when the Chinese swarmed the allied lines, the pickles where the only ones that stayed. They later said the Chinese ran right over top of them there were so many of the Chinese.

Back to if it is about the New Foundlanders. It really had an effect on the Province, as it is small and everyone is related, in a good way. Entire towns lost all their men in a few days (fathers and sons). It may even be the reason why modern military spreads men out from different regions now, not putting them all in one unit.

I guess you can we are as stubborn as mules.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts