Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to clarify some things about the rash of broken LS valve springs recently.

Too many people think that I'm still a part of Total Engine Airflow, I sold that business in 2004 and left in 2010.

The valve springs that I'm selling are the same springs that TEA sold from 2005-2010. TEA changed spring vendors after I left and no longer sell the springs that I carry.

I started carrying those original springs this year. From 2005 to present, the total number of the dual polished Platinum springs that have failed is ZERO, which is an unprecedented record in the spring industry.

Another well known, big name company in the LS market is having a lot of spring failures also. They use a third spring vendor and is not the same as the ones I use or TEA uses.

If you've had a failure with your current springs, I can sell you replacement springs for $120 shipped. My springs should work with most popular spring kit components.

If you have springs that are flat silver in color like the picture below, you should seriously consider replacing your springs.

I hope this helps clear up some confusion about LS dual springs. If you're in the market for high quality valve springs at rock bottom prices with ZERO failure issues, please consider my spring kits. If you're having delivery issues, please consider my kits also. Thanks

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Uh oh here it comes lol :SHTF

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kind of lift can you go with on the LS Platinum Springs or Max Pressure?
Either can be pushed to .660" or more, but I rate them at .660" and .650" respectfully to help the longevity. More lift can be gained with taller installed height retainers and thinner locators, both of which I have in stock.

It doesn't make sense to me to install them at a higher installed height just so I can rate them for more lift. That would results in loss of closed pressure and possibly loss of valve control also.

For example my Platinum springs install approximately 1.780" and are good for .660" lift. I could use 1.800" installed height retainers and list them good for .680" lift, but they would lose seat pressure.

Combine that with the fact that every 15 degree stock rocker made tends to kill valve tips past .630" reinforces my desire to install them at a lower installed height and yield more pressure. The LS7 rockers are great to .660" lift and is the max I would run on any street driven LS using stock rocker arms.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thanks Brian for the springs. The spring that were on mine had not broke but were weak. I bought a set from brian and replaced them and car ran A LOT better.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Out of interest, when springs fail on these engines, is it usually a catastrophic failure, or are most lucky and spot the problem before it gets serious ?

I'm now using LPE's GT9 cam with a set of the Gold 660" springs supplied by them. I'm hoping to get decent service life from them. Majority of mileage will be fairly sensible driving, but engine does spin happily to 7k, and I will of course make use of that

·
Registered
262 Posts
Which of your spring kits would you reccomend on on a stock LS2 with just a cam, headers, Fast 102 intake, cai & tune?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out of interest, when springs fail on these engines, is it usually a catastrophic failure, or are most lucky and spot the problem before it gets serious ?

I'm now using LPE's GT9 cam with a set of the Gold 660" springs supplied by them. I'm hoping to get decent service life from them. Majority of mileage will be fairly sensible driving, but engine does spin happily to 7k, and I will of course make use of that
In the spintron testing that I was involved in, the Gold springs lost pressure the fastest. You would be a good candidate for my Extreme springs only, and use your existing components. The springs are $110 and overseas shipping is generally about $40. 3 Spring kits will fit in a box, so if you could find other people in your area needing springs you could knock down the shipping costs.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which of your spring kits would you reccomend on on a stock LS2 with just a cam, headers, Fast 102 intake, cai & tune?
The Platinum Springs are the best I have for up to .660" lift using stock rocker arms. the Platinum springs have excellent closed pressure, but not too much open pressure.

A lot of springs that are available are over 400 lbs open pressure, which will damage valve tips when combined with high valve lift.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Forgot to say, I've only seen one Gold spring break, which is a very low failure rate.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Forgot to say, I've only seen one Gold spring break, which is a very low failure rate.
Hell, I've got a box full of them I can send you and you can see more. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
i will most def. consider these once i start on the head! anymore head related things you sale.??? i cant seem to find a website?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Do you consider a bent valve and possibly a piston, catastrophic?
I'd consider a bent valve or two a lucky escape. I'd consider a bent valve or two and some slight marks on the pistons also a lucky escape.

But valves buried into the head and piston and total destruction is not a lucky escape lol

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i will most def. consider these once i start on the head! anymore head related things you sale.??? i cant seem to find a website?
I'm still limited by a non compete as to what I can sell, so I'll be concentrating on spring kits for the next few months. The website will be up shortly, maybe by the end of the week. BrianTooleyRacing.com

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I have not heard of issues with Lunati golds with the moly retainers or the polished silvers with stock rockers.

I have 8000 on a daily driver and 350 or so on my car shifted at 7500.

What gold and silver springs are failing so guys can look out for them.

Tim

·
Registered
292 Posts
I bought a set of TFS 245s from LME July 2011 for my motor build, and I believe they use TEA (correct me if I am wrong) but I am wondering if I have a set of bad springs? I am actually having an issue at 6300 where the car loses power and then comes back. People I have talked with think I may have a bad set of springs. Brian what's your input on this?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts