Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any "Naturalists" or "Survivalists" on this board that are familiar with a roof water collection
system that goes thru those 55 gallon drums , several , and then comes out purified or
clean water for storage ???

I'm trying to get ideas on more natural options for independent backup systems.
Call me crazy, I kinda like this stuff as a hobby anyways, being self dependent.

I know some of you gotta have some input on this, and costs, plans, success stories ??
I'm trying to put an action plan together with costs and design options.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,104 Posts
just make sure it is legal in your state. several states have rain water laws.

if legal id use it for everything but for drinking. if your a city person where you only have city water id look into filtering and such but country where everyone has a WELL. i cant see it being cheaper or easier than just using a well.

·
Registered
14,864 Posts
We only have 9 years to live on this planet. Use it up like theres no tomorrow. Dementia joe told me so.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I don't have answers for you on that type of setup.

But, I grew up using a cistern. It was standard practice in rural areas for generations.
The only thing to maintain was the pump. They make chlorinators for such systems for purifying.
. I may be mistaken but I believe water doesn't store well in plastic. Just saying something to look into just in case its actually a factor to plan for.

·
Registered
55,408 Posts
My friend built the first LEED certified house in the US. It has a 7500 gallon underground rainwater collection system. Pumps it into the house and it goes through a purification system (also UV light) and used in the house.

To me its a big waste of money. We have so much water we cant give it away. I use the aquifer for my storage tank, its free.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I dug a well by hand in 2010. Put in a nice 220V pump and 80 gallon pressure tan. I have only used it for watering my yard and garden because city water barely keeps my plants alive. When it comes out of the pressure tank after sitting for a day it smells like sulfur (rotten eggs) so I always avoided drinking it. In the past couple of month I have been using it a lot because we now have some chicken and ducks that require a lot of water. Anyways I had never drank a drop of it until a couple weeks ago. I was really surprised at how good it tasted. Not sure how good it is for me to drink it but the birds love it...lol.

·
Moderater
13,073 Posts
My brother in law has been doing it for 20 years in Hawaii...got sick a few times from not maintaining it correctly. His is a like a 14 foot swimming pool.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,116 Posts
MY GRANDFATHER HAS A 8 DRUM TO 2-3000 GALLON UNDERGROUND CYSTERN SPELLING?

·
Smart Ass Conservative
110,938 Posts
Depends a lot on where you live .

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
just make sure it is legal in your state. several states have rain water laws.

if legal id use it for everything but for drinking. if your a city person where you only have city water id look into filtering and such but country where everyone has a WELL. i cant see it being cheaper or easier than just using a well.
Yep, I remember a lady in Florida (I believe) was in trouble with the city/county for doing the same thing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Amazing to me that collecting rain water could be made illegal. Unless at an industrial scale what impact could they be trying for as an excuse? Seems to me to be protecting a water tax racket.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,104 Posts
Amazing to me that collecting rain water could be made illegal. Unless at an industrial scale what impact could the y be trying for as an excuse? Seems to me to be protecting a water tax racket.
common in the western states where there is not much rainfall. every little bit or rain that falls makes it to a tributary and eventually ends up in a stream/river/dam..... its fucked up but if you think about it it kinda makes sense....

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have considered it but not for self sustaining or off the grid type stuff. My wife has a nice vegetable garden and the plants thrive well on rain water but aren't too fond of our hard tap water.

From an appearance standpoint, I simply don't want barrels positioned around the house. So for the last few years I have just gotten on to my wife about studying what plants thrive the best in our North Texas seasons. So she now plants tomatoes and squash early in late winter and early spring, peppers later for the dry summer and broccoli, cauliflower, beans and cabbage in the late summer into the fall and again in late January. This helps out tremendously as we can take advantage of the wet seasons and then peppers simply thrive with very little water in the summer.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
common in the western states where there is not much rainfall. every little bit or rain that falls makes it to a tributary and eventually ends up in a stream/river/dam..... its fucked up but if you think about it it kinda makes sense....
It’s illegal to collect rainwater from a gutter downspout and use it for plant watering.........get this....in Seattle! Where it rains, and rains.

·
Registered
17,348 Posts
It’s illegal to collect rainwater from a gutter downspout and use it for plant watering.........get this....in Seattle! Where it rains, and rains.
with all those LIbtards there in Seattle you would think collecting and using rain water would be encouraged and maybe even required as a way to save the environment do to less city water demand.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
In Maryland they tax the rain, costs me $90 a year.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts