Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If you look at the really huge blow-up of that one, it's made for a shaft with splines and what I would call a flat

·
Registered
576 Posts
So the relieved area is the "flat" they're talking about?
Yes, they are calling the relieved area of the splined bore, closest to the underside of the pinch bolt head, as a "flat".
It's a poor use of term, normally when referring to a "flat" in a spline it is a double width spline, with no valley cut between what would normally make the space of 2 splines....like on the output shaft side of the box, so that the pitman arm can only be oriented and slip on the spline in a certain spot.

That "flat" in the steering rag coupler description is just the relieved area of the bore, so that when the bolt is tightened it will pinch tight better than it would if those last 3 or so splines were left in there fully splined.

You'll be good with the OER part, GM didn't make several 3/4"-30 spline couplers with actual orientation flats or anything like that,

That would be something only FORD would be stupid enough to do. :smt093

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sweet!

Say, "southwest lower Michigan" sounds like you might not be too far from me. I'm in Kalamazoo. You ever race at Martin?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sweet!

Say, "southwest lower Michigan" sounds like you might not be too far from me. I'm in Kalamazoo. You ever race at Martin?
Many times at Martin, both before it was upgraded and after, but haven't since 2010.

Used to hit Osceola Dragway in Osceola, Indiana quite a bit too, it's a fun low pressure old school track.

Had high hopes for Onondaga Dragway reopening, but that pompous jackass who has been fighting them keeps screwing that up by dragging them into lawsuits.

I'm in Coldwater.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I've never been to Osceola, but I just looked at an aerial photo and it looks nice. About a half mile of shutdown?

Here's what's up with the rag joints. The old one has a lot of missing splines (red arc) and a flat spot (yellow line) where you can see the input shaft splines dug in.

The new rag joint is not missing splines, and it also has a flat spot.

The input shaft has no such flat spot.

Do I go ahead an try the new rag joint, or should I find a different solution?

Edit: Wow, sorry for the mega-huge pics!

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Excellent! Is it designed so the input shaft splines will bite into the flat in the rag joint?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yeah, that's not the right rag joint for the shaft in your picture and it won't work.

Looking at you shaft pic....are you sure that is a stock 1970 manual steering box?

Stock would be a Saginaw 525 box, 3/4"-30 spline with a flat that would match that coupler.
Reason I ask is the stock 1970 manual box, the 525, has about a 5" long input shaft....in your shaft pic it doesn't look like you box has a shaft more than about 1-1/2" long??

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah, that's not the right rag joint for the shaft in your picture and it won't work.

Looking at you shaft pic....are you sure that is a stock 1970 manual steering box?

Stock would be a Saginaw 525 box, 3/4"-30 spline with a flat that would match that coupler.
Reason I ask is the stock 1970 manual box, the 525, has about a 5" long input shaft....in your shaft pic it doesn't look like you box has a shaft more than about 1-1/2" long??
Well, it's a 142 casting as pictured in post 30, and I've measured and counted and the input shaft is 3/4-30. The pic I took was from inside the car to show it doesn't have a flat that matches the one in the rag joint. There is a groove though, as pictured above, and the shaft sticks out of the box 3 3/4"

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's hard to tell from the pic, do you remember if it was all splined or had a flat?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I posted this link the other day, and today I get a promo coupon in the mail from them. I really don't like how everything on the internet is linked up.

If anyone wants it. NSPC-2XYW5. $15 off of a purchase of $15.01 or more. Expires 12/4.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I've determined that the rag joint with the flat spot is for power steering boxes, and that manual boxes take a fully splined rag joint. Due to time constraints, I'm going to grind away the flat spot and use the rag joint I have for now. I'll fix it properly this winter.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've determined that the rag joint with the flat spot is for power steering boxes, and that manual boxes take a fully splined rag joint. Due to time constraints, I'm going to grind away the flat spot and use the rag joint I have for now. I'll fix it properly this winter.
If you've got a little patience, you can file the missing splines into the flat area with a triangular file....and not have to mess with it again at a later date.

It's been 20+ years since I switched my '72 Nova from Power to Manual box, using a manual box off a low-mileage 4-door '69 Chevelle and I just don't remember if there was a flat on the input shaft of the manual box or not. Seems like I left the '69 rag on the Chevelle box, just unbolted the column from the power box rag and swapped the entire assembly.
I do remember having to buy a different pitman arm, the power box arm wouldn't fit the manual box(different spline count/shaft size) and the Chevelle pitman is different and can't be used.
Nova '68-74/Camaro/Firebird '67-69 pitman has a ball/stud built in to fit a tapered hole in center link, like a tie rod....Chevelle pitman just has a tapered hole for a stud, and the center link has a stud instead of a tapered hole.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Normally, I have lots of patience, but I have a relative over from the Netherlands and this Saturday is the last day the drag strip is open. Besides, I have no idea where this rag joint was made, but the little cardboard box it came in sure looked 3rd world. My plan is to turn down a double D shaft so it fits inside my steering shaft, jam it in, plug weld it, and then use an American made U-joint to connect to the steering box.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts