1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
63,675 Posts
Does the existing rag joint look like the one in the link?

Is the shaft going to the steering box, OEM ?

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the existing rag joint look like the one in the link?

Is the shaft going to the steering box, OEM ?
Yes, except many of the splines in my rag joint are missing! :shock:

Yes, factory setup with steering shaft going right to the input shaft of the box.

Why not eliminate the rag joint ?

Go to a solid shaft
Replacing the rag joint with a u-joint is something I'd like to do, but that's a project for another time.

·
Registered
63,675 Posts
Sounds like you'll be good to go with that OEM replacement rag joint then.

If the rag joint you're replacing is the original unit, I suspect the rust gods claimed those 'splines'. lol

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, they're not hard to find, but it seems they're all manufactured for "3/4 coarse spline with flat at bolt head side" or something like that, but my steering box input shaft doesn't have any flats on it. It has a groove for the rag joint pinch bolt, and it's splined 360°.

·
Registered
14,026 Posts
Do you still have the old rag joint?

How bout cleaning and repainting the old ones metal parts and just swapping the rag to the old joint?

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you still have the old rag joint?

How bout cleaning and repainting the old ones metal parts and just swapping the rag to the old joint?
I do, but the most important metal part of the old one is missing splines.

Hopefully this will help. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3026499&cc=1442140&jsn=540
Not a GM "guy" so I don't know all the particulars of the application, but looks/sounds like the one needed or something close to it. Hope it helps.
That looks exactly like what I need except it's 36 spline, and I need 30 spline.

Essentially, yes. That one has a set screw instead of a pinch bolt, but yeah. If the OER part isn't right, I guess I'll give that one a try.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The O.E.R. one is what you need.

The bolt passes through the relieved area on the splined shaft of the steering box. That's how it tightens to the splines.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The OER part should be here tomorrow. If it doesn't work, I'll check out those options.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts