Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past winter I switched to AFCO Big Gun struts and racecraft SN95 drop spindleS. My old setup was just factory Ford SN95 spindles and strange SA struts. It had a 4.5+" of extension from ride height and I was getting some sky high wheelies.

With the new setup i only have 1.625" of extension from ride height. I realize this may be plenty or too much for a tight track. Does this give me enough range for a poor/loose track or will I need more travel?

The setup is 1991 Foxbody that races 8.6 / 5.5 index classes with a 1.20 best best 60 ft so far.

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I have a .250" spacer on top of the strut. I was thinking about just running a washer and nut on top and adding spacers below the cc plate. I have the racecraft cc plates that sit flush on the strut tower so that helps too.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
A lot of guys will tell you to control the extension with the strut and not limit the travel until you run out of other options since hitting the end of your travel can upset the suspension.

I have a ton of front end travel and use 125lb springs that have a lot of stored energy. I also had a wheelie problem running 1.2x short times until I installed some expensive Strange double adjustable shocks. Now I simply adjust the shocks and let her rip. Set up correctly the car will pick up the front tires a few inches at most.

It's pretty simple. If the car's nose rises just a little too fast it will wheelie. Slow it down just a little and you maximize your weight transfer without the big wheelie.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A lot of guys will tell you to control the extension with the strut and not limit the travel until you run out of other options since hitting the end of your travel can upset the suspension.

I have a ton of front end travel and use 125lb springs that have a lot of stored energy. I also had a wheelie problem running 1.2x short times until I installed some expensive Strange double adjustable shocks. Now I simply adjust the shocks and let her rip. Set up correctly the car will pick up the front tires a few inches at most.

It's pretty simple. If the car's nose rises just a little too fast it will wheelie. Slow it down just a little and you maximize your weight transfer without the big wheelie.
I see your car works great.
What do you run on rear for shock and springs set up?
I have similar set up just single turbo and just Lakewood
Front and rear and looking to upgrade

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
I see your car works great.
What do you run on rear for shock and springs set up?
I have similar set up just single turbo and just Lakewood
Front and rear and looking to upgrade
I use a Strange double adjustable on the rear also. I have coil over springs there. Don't remember what the spring rate of those is but I think maybe 140?

Just a FYI - I use a 16" Hypercoil 125lb spring on the front end - 16B0125UHT. For years I ran a 14" 125lb spring but it didn't really have enough length and was adjusted almost to the limit of the coil spring adjustment. The 14" was too close to coil bind which might have been a factor coming down hard from a good wheelie. I only came down moderately hard once back in 2010 or so but the 16" would give more travel before coil bind if it dropped hard. Eventually the 14" springs fatigued from all of the street driving and I ran out of travel. My car is heavy though with like 1800 or so on the nose.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use a Strange double adjustable on the rear also. I have coil over springs there. Don't remember what the spring rate of those is but I think maybe 140?

Just a FYI - I use a 16" Hypercoil 125lb spring on the front end - 16B0125UHT. For years I ran a 14" 125lb spring but it didn't really have enough length and was adjusted almost to the limit of the coil spring adjustment. The 14" was too close to coil bind which might have been a factor coming down hard from a good wheelie. I only came down moderately hard once back in 2010 or so but the 16" would give more travel before coil bind if it dropped hard. Eventually the 14" springs fatigued from all of the street driving and I ran out of travel. My car is heavy though with like 1800 or so on the nose.
Mine is nose heavy also 1791 on nose.
Your rears stock location coil over style?
I can’t decide which way to go on rear stock location w/or w/o Coilover
Or just aftermarket Coilover with crossmemeber.its 90 percent street
10 percent track.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Mine is nose heavy also 1791 on nose.
Your rears stock location coil over style?
I can’t decide which way to go on rear stock location w/or w/o Coilover
Or just aftermarket Coilover with crossmemeber.its 90 percent street
10 percent track.
Yes, I have a mini-tub on the car and the coil-overs go on the shock to the stock location on top which has been modified slightly because of the mini-tub work. The good thing about coil-overs is the ease in adjusting the ride height.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes, I have a mini-tub on the car and the coil-overs go on the shock to the stock location on top which has been modified slightly because of the mini-tub work. The good thing about coil-overs is the ease in adjusting the ride height.
Thanks,
I think I will try and pick up used set of stock location coil over strange da

1 - 9 of 9 Posts