Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my junk is down and in need of a major engine freshening. Looks like it will cost around $7000 to put the engine back together the way it needs to be. I need to make more changes to the chassis to lose about 300lbs to be able to run my index N/A on methanol instead of race gas and N20. All these changes will make my junk a true contender for the races I enter. It was decent this year until it broke, we runnered up at our 1st event, was the #1 qualifier at the I Forty $10,000 event with a 6.000 and broke at the other two events. My reaction times are fairly stellar being in the teens consistantly in eliminations, but keeping the race gas/nitrous combo consistant down to .00s is really tough on me and the wifey not to mention the cost versus methanol. I have two options to consider, the first is put it back as it was and get back on the track by late August or make all the neccesary changes to make it a "hard to beat" combo spending another $9000 on all the changes and get back to racing in 2013. What would you guys do? I would love to continue racing later this season, but I also would like to reduce our seasonal costs and not have to worry about breakage and such for a few years! Opinions??

Oh yeah, I will also be leaving the N20 system in place as well as the rear fuel cell to be able to lay down some fast times if I decide to do a little grudge racing if I make all the changes.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Do what makes you happy and don't overextend yourself or your budget.

·
Registered
917 Posts
9k.......... is hard to take all at once. All I can say ............ its so nice to run the index on only motor. Im on gas too, thinking of switching to meth soon. Too many notes on tune ups and weather condition to change right now.... good luck. Id say take your time, get ready for 2013

·
Back to racing again!
3,343 Posts
I'm just sitting here thinking that I want to do the same thing (sort of) - we bought my wife's S10 turnkey, and it goes okay - it's at the fast end of the class, so she should usually be chasing (bracket), and I only need to do a few things to get it back on the track. What I would REALLY like to do is take the entire thing apart and do everything over the right way (the previous builders did a lot of Mickey Mouse shit) - that would mean taking the season off...she wants to go racing. So I find myself dragging my feet...

So I am not helping with your question at all - sorry - just saying I understand how you feel...

·
DamCoonass
15,163 Posts
Well my junk is down and in need of a major engine freshening. Looks like it will cost around $7000 to put the engine back together the way it needs to be. I need to make more changes to the chassis to lose about 300lbs to be able to run my index N/A on methanol instead of race gas and N20. All these changes will make my junk a true contender for the races I enter. It was decent this year until it broke, we runnered up at our 1st event, was the #1 qualifier at the I Forty $10,000 event with a 6.000 and broke at the other two events. My reaction times are fairly stellar being in the teens consistantly in eliminations, but keeping the race gas/nitrous combo consistant down to .00s is really tough on me and the wifey not to mention the cost versus methanol. I have two options to consider, the first is put it back as it was and get back on the track by late August or make all the neccesary changes to make it a "hard to beat" combo spending another $9000 on all the changes and get back to racing in 2013. What would you guys do? I would love to continue racing later this season, but I also would like to reduce our seasonal costs and not have to worry about breakage and such for a few years! Opinions??

Oh yeah, I will also be leaving the N20 system in place as well as the rear fuel cell to be able to lay down some fast times if I decide to do a little grudge racing if I make all the changes.
If you wanna Pm me with some particulars I will be glad to try to help you out.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Bruce this may not be an option you may even consider but why dont you make it a 7.0 car? 98% of the time if its a 6.0 race 7.0 is run also. My car was my 6.0 ride last year and a damn good one but I made it my 7.0 this year and so far has been a pretty good choice til I get my new 6.0 ride done.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
Fix it up the way it is now, and make plans for the N/A methanol motor you want for 2013 that way when it's done being built on the engine stand you can just drop it right in.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fix it up the way it is now, and make plans for the N/A methanol motor you want for 2013 that way when it's done being built on the engine stand you can just drop it right in.
Building a complete spare 650+hp engine isnt anywhere near to being in my budget, AT ALL! That would be nice though!

As of right now, racing anymore this year is out. I hate to miss all the events everyone is putting together, but I have to look at the long term scenario. I HAVE to race, it is the only thing that I do solely for myself. To be honest it helps keep me focused and gives me an avenue to vent my aggression without being stupid. I have contacted all the guys who will be helping me out and performing work on my brokeass junk and I think Ive gotten it all planned out fairly well and the only thing missing at this moment is all the cash to do it with and Im diligently working on that issue 7 days a week! Thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
22,651 Posts
Sell all your stuff, buy a small vinyard in Italy.make wine and be happy for the rest of your life.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sell all your stuff, buy a small vinyard in Italy.make wine and be happy for the rest of your life.
No thanks! Old Italian women look like old Italian men!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Let me know your combo, I used to run 5.99-6.00 w/a sniper 100 Shot. Stock Suspension 73 Camaro 5.90's all day left w/RPM activated on the NOS. Nothing special SBC 23*. $7000 is alot of $$ for 6.0. I didn't worry about Weight , but it was about 2900lb's or more. 6.20's on motor 5.90's 114+ w/sniper on delay w/ RPM switch. No wheelies & no big tires. Consistent also!

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Seems like when I tried the major changes stuff, it ALWAYS ended up taking longer than I thought!... ;)

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me know your combo, I used to run 5.99-6.00 w/a sniper 100 Shot. Stock Suspension 73 Camaro 5.90's all day left w/RPM activated on the NOS. Nothing special SBC 23*. $7000 is alot of $$ for 6.0. I didn't worry about Weight , but it was about 2900lb's or more. 6.20's on motor 5.90's 114+ w/sniper on delay w/ RPM switch. No wheelies & no big tires. Consistent also!
The main expense is GRP rods $1100, new Bullet solid roller $470, Harland Sharp rockers $340, Crower lifters $660, Comp Cams springs, pushrods and belt drive $1200, Complete BLP methanol fuel system $XXXX :p and all the other little things that go along with freshening and converting a engine to methanol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
What size is your motor now? A guy in our camp runs a n/a 565 3250 lbs on race gas. Car runs 5.70 we back it down to 6.0. He has entered 4 races this year with 2 wins 1 runner up and got to 5 cars at first race. But i also know that shit adds up when your buying it! Good luck!

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Bruce this may not be an option you may even consider but why dont you make it a 7.0 car? 98% of the time if its a 6.0 race 7.0 is run also. My car was my 6.0 ride last year and a damn good one but I made it my 7.0 this year and so far has been a pretty good choice til I get my new 6.0 ride done.
^^^I agree. Run 7.0 for a while and have lots of fun!

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What size is your motor now? A guy in our camp runs a n/a 565 3250 lbs on race gas. Car runs 5.70 we back it down to 6.0. He has entered 4 races this year with 2 wins 1 runner up and got to 5 cars at first race. But i also know that shit adds up when your buying it! Good luck!
Its a 4.125 bore, 3.700 stroke, 23* headed sbc

·
Former RJ instigator
41,538 Posts
I like my shit to last so I stay away from the bottle.... build it all motor and run it on methanol change oil frequently and it'll live...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts