Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tuning help.
rons toilet/terminator running methanol.
Engine 1-434 sbc/glide dragster best et [email protected] 1585lbs
35 nozzels,70 main,36* timing
Engine 2-572 bbc/gide dragster best et [email protected] 1625lbs
36 nozzels,54 main,36* timing
Engine 2 on gas ran the same numbers,i thought we might pick up a tenth or so switching.
1-Best starting line water temp. It seems like there is a temp. where the engine needs to be at least a certain temp hot/warm to run consistent ie:we tried 160* starting line worked good except when we sat waiting and it went up only to 165* it would pick up .02 in the 1/4.
so what is the correct temp? we were thinking 175* starting line to get over that area of inconsistency. sbc picks up 5* over the run bbc picks up 15* over the run
2-Starting line idle egt? we have an egt of 580/600*
3-Finish line egt,we have 1100*
4-How do you tune methanol to run the number all day? Ie:fat/lean, whats fat/too fat
5-Timing/nozzels/main jet for both ideas?
6-both run msd 7's i was thinking about putting in the retard/chips,just i thought have not tried yet.
7-any secrets/tips?

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
Your starting line water temp and EGTs are too low. To me, 650-700 would be a better starting line EGT. Lean out the barrel valve. I try to get mine, via modulating the 3-way shut off, up closer to 200. Every motor will be a bit different, so it's something you'll have to play with. Personally, 160 is way too low.

How to tune it... Get a weather station, put in your tune, and keep the jet in the BV that the weather station tells you to. That will keep the tune consistent, the rest is all in your process that has to be repeated exactly every time.

Based on temperature rise and finish line EGT, it sounds too fat. Is it milking the oil? What's the system pressure at?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply wj.
We run the gas primer from ron's.We always start/warm it up on 89 octane.
It's very easy to get the water temp/heat into the engine.
Oil looks like it runs on gas /clean.
I hear alot of different ideas,but no really dead on help.
We are just alittle off and i,m not sure if we should take a right or left at the fork in the road.
We are looking for that combo/tune i hear about where alky is dead on from the 1st t/t to final rd.
We were leaning towards trying 175* at the starting line.
Thanks for any other info you can give us.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The only way I heard that any mechanical injection system works is start by having the system flowed. There are several people that can do a good job. Then you have a base in which to start. Those system work very well and you can pick up et by running one. Without flowing it you can chase your tail until you give up on them. I know several guys that run them and are very consistent but they all say the same thing "flowed it first then tuned" As far as water temp I run alcohol carb and do my burnout at 165 I try and make the run at 170-175. You may also need to install a leanout valve to help with warmup.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
What do you have for pump, BV, 8 nozzles? lean outs?
Depending on combustion chamber design, Alcohol engines love timing. Our BBC's with 100+ cc chambers we run 38-40 depending.
What plugs are you using? And what do they look like after a run?
Also, you probably *SHOULD* pick up a little bit on alky over gas. However I never tell anyone to switch to alky for performance gains. I run alky because I find it to be more consistent. It isn't as easily affected by weather changes.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I would say for atleast the small block you would want a bit more timing I run 39 in my 409 SBC, It seems to like it there. I have played with #8 or #9 plugs. Never really saw much of a difference there. So I just run the #9, with a .042 gap. Gap should be .040-.045. I would suggest atleast 175 on the temp at the start of the run. In my opinion I dont care if it gains or loosed temp during the run. Mostly because I believe that is based on your cooling system. I have a big aluminum radiator, electric pump, with no restrictors. So on my runs I actually stay the same temp or loose a few degrees on the run. As far as the EGT's I like closer to 1200 at the end of a run. Just remember EGT guages arent the only thing to go by when tuning. I use mine and it helps. But check plugs too. So in my opinion your lean all the way through the run, and probably a little lean at idle. Based on your EGT numbers. So I would say lean out the barrel valve for idle, and go up 4-6 sizes on the main pill.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Alcohol is hard to burn, you want a strong spark..Not a long weak spark. Everytime I have run a large gap on an alky engine it misses under high load. When we change it and make it tight, it fixes the issue.. Just in my experience's... This is with 7al2 and 7al3 ignitions, MSD Distributor, locked out 38* of timing, and a pro-power coil...
Every motor like's something different, no need to start a war.. But try tightening the gap once, you might be suprised..Or I might be wrong.. It happens.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I am running the same ignition you are, and my engine likes it at the wider gap. I run this based on the tech advice from. Rons, and James Monroe. I suppose as long as it works, it dont matter how you got there. I just never heard of or seen, anyone run that tight of gap. But I will ask around some more at the track and see what others are doing. That is if it quits raining so we can race!

·
Registered
726 Posts
i run a 540 bbc with a terminator, 15 to 1 compression, brodix 3 xtra heads, 40 degrees timing, autolite ar3933 plugs gapped at .035. found water temp to be more consistent and .02 faster staging at 125 to 130 thank staging at 150 and up. if your tune up on a carb was very close, you wont pick up hardly any when going to alcohol. i picked up .02 going to alcohol

·
On the flow bench
13,722 Posts
Looking for tuning help.
rons toilet/terminator running methanol.
Engine 1-434 sbc/glide dragster best et [email protected] 1585lbs
35 nozzels,70 main,36* timing
Engine 2-572 bbc/gide dragster best et [email protected] 1625lbs
36 nozzels,54 main,36* timing
Engine 2 on gas ran the same numbers,i thought we might pick up a tenth or so switching.
1-Best starting line water temp. It seems like there is a temp. where the engine needs to be at least a certain temp hot/warm to run consistent ie:we tried 160* starting line worked good except when we sat waiting and it went up only to 165* it would pick up .02 in the 1/4.
so what is the correct temp? we were thinking 175* starting line to get over that area of inconsistency. sbc picks up 5* over the run bbc picks up 15* over the run
2-Starting line idle egt? we have an egt of 580/600*
3-Finish line egt,we have 1100*
4-How do you tune methanol to run the number all day? Ie:fat/lean, whats fat/too fat
5-Timing/nozzels/main jet for both ideas?
6-both run msd 7's i was thinking about putting in the retard/chips,just i thought have not tried yet.
7-any secrets/tips?

what heads on the sbc and BBC ? that makes a difference in the timing....
nozzel size and main pill number mean nothing, if you don't supply the pump size

also, dont start the motor on gas, as it hinders the reading of the spark plug , when running on methanol.

·
On the flow bench
13,722 Posts
What do you have for pump, BV, 8 nozzles? lean outs?
Depending on combustion chamber design, Alcohol engines love timing. Our BBC's with 100+ cc chambers we run 38-40 depending.
What plugs are you using? And what do they look like after a run?
Also, you probably *SHOULD* pick up a little bit on alky over gas. However I never tell anyone to switch to alky for performance gains. I run alky because I find it to be more consistent. It isn't as easily affected by weather changes.

^^^^
what he said on spark plug brand / pt number

1 - 20 of 163 Posts