Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve heard the term a million times but I have never did it nor do I know anyone That has raced for pinks.
Any of you ever won or lost a car in a race?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not myself, but back in the day had a room mate who raced for pinks and lost. Of course he "borrowed" my ride and raced the guy without asking me. He came back to the base camp with the other guy in tow, of course wanting the title. I told him unless he wants to run his pos again, to get the F... out. He left, but was whining and crying the whole time.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
I remember two local guys back in 1971 had Mustangs and each of them named the cars PONY EXPRESS with the lettering custom painted along the fenders and trunk lid. These two guys argued constantly about who had the name first and both cars were equally fast so it was decided that they would race at Englishtown and the winner got to scrape or sand off the PONY EXPRESS lettering of the losers car after the race........ The loser showed up with a new paint job two weeks later without the lettering.

BTW! I think "pinks racing" is a urban legend and nobody in their right mind would do this with a expensive car......... Except for some BS Scripted TV "reality show"

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
:LOL: Guys who started racing for pinks weren't in debt 2 year's salary on a brand new ride with a bunch of high-dollar mods. They'd find a barely running heap, put some sweat equity in it, and race it against some other guy's shitbox. Winner probably salvaged whatever decent parts he needed and took the rest to the junkyard for someone else to start with.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Racing for slips is very real in some areas. Or at least use to be. I've seen cars change hands a few times in just a weekend. Sometimes back to the original owner.

These cars were far from "junk". It used to be fun to go in my teen years and watch and most importantly, learn.

When you take guys that will let their pride get in the way of common sense,it's not hard to see titles laid on the line almost every weekend back in the day.

Now they have cracked down on the beat spots to run,you don't see as much street racing as years back but its still around. Mostly on narrow,shitty roads.

Racing down a narrow tar and chip road with fields,ditches and telephone poles lining both sides is no fun and I refuse to race on that road ever again. Too many accidents.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Running for pink slips was a Hollywood movie thing and a million light years from reality.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
That's kinda like....I will put this $100 bill on the dash and if you can grab it while I'm shifting gears, its yours. Lol

·
Registered
636 Posts
I remember hearing about racing for "pinks" when I lived in So. California in the '80's.

Who in their right mind would do that ?

Especially someone that knows there are a thousand things on their car that could malfunction on the run ?
Or the tires spin....

·
Registered
21,319 Posts
I've not seen someone run for pinks but I did watch a guy take another guys blower and leave him on the side of the road. Back in the day everyone met at the Plit and set up races and then went out to Morris Bridge Road. Guy in a mid 70's Camaro got a race with a 68 Vette. The Vette had a 6-71 on it and they raced for (I don't remember what the Camaro guy put up) The blower. The Camaro won, by quite a bit, and took that mans blower right then and there. Vette guy called a wrecker to come get the car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It was real in the late 60's and early 70's in Newark, NJ on rt. 21 north underpass by the Dream Boat Lounge.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts