Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently had Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF) on C6/C7 joint in my neck. Surgery was a success with very little recovery pain and feel almost 100% after 10 days.
I know this is a fairly common procedure, but was wondering if other racers that have had the process done ever returned back to racing. And if so, did you run into any other problems or what are some of the changes you had to make to return back behind the wheel. Sure hope this didn't end my 1320 career.
Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wouldn't foresee any problems once your fusion (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion) is solid. Appropriate follow-up with your surgeon and following his/her advice is vital. I would anticipate 12 weeks for bone healing. You don't want to rush this and loosen your hardware.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Might be wise to get some kind of head and neck restraint. Undoubtedly all should but that's another story.
Good point. depending on how many levels are fused, the forces (bending moment and accelerated wear) on the unfused segment immediately above considerably. Discuss future concerns with the surgeon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I don't have much experience around head /neck devices like the Hans device, but is a guy able to bracket/stripe race while wearing one? Doesn't it limit the amount your are able to turn your head?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would invest in a carbon helmet, they are super-light. ( super expensive too) If you're racing that car in your burnout pic, start using the rear view mirrors, much easier. I put a pair on my doorcar and love 'em.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
My surgeon said Not for at least 6 months to a year. It could easily blow apart.( Surgeons words.) I told him about my neck restraint, still no dice. So dny do it... DR.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have already decided to stay out from behind the wheel for the entire 2020 season. I will revisit it with Dr in spring of 2021 and see what he thinks. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
My dad had it done back in like '95...he sat out one season then was back t it for 20 more years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts