Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys out there have diabetes and race? how do u fair out on getting Nhra license and how do u prepare and control it on race day?

·
Car ramrod
10,130 Posts
My dad had diabetes. Just check you blood sugar regularly and keep that in check and you.should be.fine

·
aka OutlawChick
17,070 Posts
I crewed for a racer that shall remain nameless... but we had the sugar wafers EVERYWHERE... golf cart, trailer, a couple in the car, in the toter. Just in case.

As long as it's manageable, it shouldn't be a issue in racing. Hell it takes less time to make 1 pass than it does for you to drive to the store. As long as they have a license and are cleared by a Dr.... let em be.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
100% depends on how well you keep up on it. My mother is METICULOUS about it and only ever has any problems when she drinks too much wine lol. Would not worry about her driving a car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had to get a driver for my car after 46 yrs of diabetes back in 2008. It has taken part of my vision, the feeling in my feet is almost non exsistant. A bad heart added to my decision. I still own the car but have Jok Nicholson (of DRO) drive it. I still get to watch it go down the track at least.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My dad has had it for 39 years now. He just brings his blood tester with his insulin and all that stuff and some snacks to the track with him.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Going thru it right know I havent had great control with it NHRA said no for top dragster
lic until A1C test is under 8

·
Registered
676 Posts
I had to get a driver for my car after 46 yrs of diabetes back in 2008. It has taken part of my vision, the feeling in my feet is almost non exsistant. A bad heart added to my decision. I still own the car but have Jok Nicholson (of DRO) drive it. I still get to watch it go down the track at least.
Wise move.

I lost my Dad due to type 1 Diabetes. He was very stubborn when it came to his disease and it ended up costing him his life.

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
It shouldnt be an issue if your A1C is under control. Ive had this for 21 yrs now, A1C is under 6, Way back when first diagnosed I had some issues with control. A lic should not be an issue. Good luck let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Diet, exercise and get the A1C down. You know when your sugar is low, sweaty, no energy, arms and legs heavy. Eat some sugar pills. Keep them handy and even have a crew member carry a tube of sugar tablets. Be Safe and Aware.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have had diabetes since i was 10, 20 years this august. I have my NHRA lic, and i am under control. I check my blood sugar often, and i check it even more frequently at the track. Bracket racing is about concentration and i can't concentrate when my sugar is all over the place. I keep a pack of starburst in the car with me just incase im in the staging lanes and feel low. Also when we go round robin i'll load some food on the golf cart for the later rounds if i need it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I don't have diabetes , but I work in health care and deal with alot of diabetic patients. People I know who have diabetes have had great success with the insulin pumps. It is a much better way to keep you sugar regulated as opposed to doing injections. Keeping your blood sugar at a consistent level will help prevent some of the complications associated with diabetes.

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
SlickVic, good deal same thing here, Always something in car, or truck or in trailer. Test sugars at least 10 times a day, sometimes more.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I don't have diabetes , but I work in health care and deal with alot of diabetic patients. People I know who have diabetes have had great success with the insulin pumps. It is a much better way to keep you sugar regulated as opposed to doing injections. Keeping your blood sugar at a consistent level will help prevent some of the complications associated with diabetes.

Have had my pump for 14 years now.

·
Registered
751 Posts
i too have diabetes but i got mine under control by diet and weight loss (i lost my dad to diabetes)... my biggest problem at the track is i literally forget to eat. with the running around, bullshitting, watching races and checking the car between rounds i lose track of time... best thing i have found is to take my wife with me or someone else who isnt racing and they arent as incoherent to the time. they stick to the schedule of its lunch time or dinner time and it reminds me to grab something to eat or at least a snack... and i usually take healthy foods and or snacks since most of the track food is usually not diet friendly...

·
Registered
19,424 Posts
Same here wife is usually with me, Running around will phuck you up if your not careful. Its great to see im not the only one with this. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
My father had diabetes. On Friday night bracket races, he'd go between final qualifying and 1st round of eliminations and eat dinner and take his insulin shot. Just keep a close eye on your blood sugar.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
It's a non-issue. Hypoglycemia has plenty of warning signs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the inputs guys... just like projoe87 said...im glad there others with diabetes and racing and not just me. I've built a pretty solid car and should be entering in Drag Radials with. I've gone to a drag school to learn the best ways to check, stage, drive the car... get passing grade to get nhra license. So now i've got to wait a few month to get it.. A1C was alittle high so i've really dial it down now and make bi-weekly visit to diabetes doctor to help me achieve my goals. But again thanks for malking me feel more better knowing i'm not the only one with this problem and can make it happen...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you considered cinnamon; I'm 80 and about 2 years ago the docs started warning about sugar and then a few months ago they said I was borderline diabetic. So I started reading about cinnamon, bought a tester and found the readings to be mid 130s to mid 140s so I started and am still taking about 3/8 teaspoon daily; I like it on the daily bowl of sugarfree ice cream. I test weekly and the last one was 114 and about 2 weeks ago the docs tested it at 99.
I also had a hemorroidectomy about 12 years ago which never totally healed up and I was using prep. 8 about 3 times/week, but since taking the cinnamon I have been able to quit the Prep 8. What seems strange is, I only weigh 150 and don't recall ever knowing of a person with diabetes that was not somewhat overweight.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts