Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a hell of a time wrapping my mind around the Racepak setup. I want to run an IQ3 Display dash and have the ability to upgrade to a G2X to data log in the future. The application will be a ’03 Mustang that will see limited street / HPDE activity. This car will utilize “stock” Ford electronics from a ’98 Ford. I do realize that the IQ3 Logger makes more sense, but I am working with a limited budget and really like the ability to upgrade to the G2X in the future.
If I understand the IQ3 correctly, it will give me (among other GPS related info) Speedo, Tach and Voltage with the standard unit wired in with no additional sensors. I also want the ability to monitor the following info:
Engine Oil Pressure
Engine Oil Temperature
Fuel Pump Pressure
Water Temperature

If I’m not mistaken, I can use a USM with the appropriate sensors and cables to monitor these four parameters. I believe that I understand the how to determine the correct sensors to use, but I am unclear how to choose the correct cables to connect between the sensors and the USM. How do I determine the correct cables to use?
I also understand that I can use another USM to trigger the warning lights on the IQ3 for the following:
Engine Oil Pressure
Engine Oil Temperature
Fuel Pump Pressure
Water Temperature

I do not understand how to make this happen. I do understand this would be considered a “voltage event”. What do I need to do to make this work? In the future; when I add the G2X logger, will I still be able to use these warning lamps as indicators?

I would also like to use the open slot on the second USM to monitor the Fuel level with the stock Ford sending unit. Is this possible and if so how do I do that?
I also want the ability to add Throttle Position, Steering Position and Brake Pressure in the future when the G2X is added.
Thanks in advance for help!

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Joe

I'd recommend just getting the IQ3 logger dash and the OBD2 interface to pick up the engine parameters you mentioned. Probably no additional cables needed.

Regarding the warning lights, once you have a sensor into the system - you can program warning lights based on it - high water temp, low oil pressure etc.

Anything OBD2 can't supply, you could use a USM or standard Vnet modules.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg, Thanks for the reply. I just got my display dash this morning and I now realize that it does not have any of the GPS capabilities. Doh! I guess I will have to go ahead and buy the G2X so that I can get my speedo. Or sell my display dash for a loss and buy the logger dash.

Is the OBDII piece really available? I know they have been promising this part for quite some time...

How do I determine the correct cables to use with the USM / GM style sensors?

I screwed up my intail post, I wanted to use the warning lamps for Right and Left Turn Signals. How do I wire that into racepak system?

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Joe, is it the IQ3 display dash? Turn signal indicators require using 2 channels of a USM module. For what you want to do I would consider just waiting to upgrade to the G2X Pro unit for the GPS and channel capability.

The cables are premade and have either the 3 pin sensor connector or the 2 pin temp connector. Or you can make your own and acquire the connectors, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe,

The dash is display only.

I assume I would tap into the factory harness to pick up the signal for the turn signals as a "voltage event". Is this correct?

Do you have a part number for the cables? I assume that if I build my own cables, I would only need to buy the correct "GM" pigtails to make my harness. How are the premade cables listed in Racepak's catalog?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts