Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
The V500SD has a Bluetooth option for configuring and real time.

Works awesome!

·
Registered
22 Posts
The V500SD has a Bluetooth option for configuring and real time.

Works awesome!
I cant find anything on the site re this functionality. I just picked up a V500 and V300 used (long story but great deal) and was going to go V300 for my application but bluetooth would keep me in the V5.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I cant find anything on the site re this functionality. I just picked up a V500 and V300 used (long story but great deal) and was going to go V300 for my application but bluetooth would keep me in the V5.

The Bluetooth feature is only available (option) on the new V500SD unit.

Not available for the older units (V500 V300, or V300SD).

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Sign me up!
Another thing is it has the channel capability to log all of the Smartwire channels! ;)

You know where to find me if I can help.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You can do this with any of the RacePak units, you will just need to make the bluetooth side yourself.

Use this module
http://rovingnetworks.com/products/RN42

Config to autodetect each other.
Plug one into the config port on the RacePak
The other into a USB to serial adapter.
Power up and you are set.
Your MSD and your PC will act just like a hard wire connection between the two exists.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can do this with any of the RacePak units, you will just need to make the bluetooth side yourself.

Use this module
http://rovingnetworks.com/products/RN42

Config to autodetect each other.
Plug one into the config port on the RacePak
The other into a USB to serial adapter.
Power up and you are set.
Your MSD and your PC will act just like a hard wire connection between the two exists.
Thx have you had good results with this. Any insight on a how to?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I haven't done this one exactly. I use the mentioned Bluetooth component daily. Basically with it you are making a wireless serial communication link.

I make alot of ag electronics. One I sell is an Android based app. I have a circuit board that I talk to with the Android app. The circuit board has the RN-42. Its a piece of cake to setup.

I am pretty sure they already have a USB bluetooth component so you would only need to make the RacePak side of it. I am heading to South Africa on the 25th to set up some dealers. Ill be back on the 4th. Email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt this will work with any non-SD model as the serial connection shorts live logging if left plugged in... So... I guess it would work but you would have to plug in and unplug the adapter each pass.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
It would work, you just make the car side of the connection go live when the PC tries to connect and disconnects when PC isn't communicating.

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would work, you just make the car side of the connection go live when the PC tries to connect and disconnects when PC isn't communicating.
It's a grounding path issue in the serial connector... the problem would be mechanical, not electrical.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I doubt this will work with any non-SD model as the serial connection shorts live logging if left plugged in... So... I guess it would work but you would have to plug in and unplug the adapter each pass.
Correct, but you could make a short cable with the adapter plug in. Kinda like the SD card download kit for the V300/V500 stuff. Walk up to the car and plug it in after the pass. You are still gonna have slow downloads like the cable already is though.

It doesnt download the data on the V500SD, its simply a way to configure and make changes. That being said, it was kinda cool to configure a car in my garage from my dining room! ;)

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You can't see the light, open your eyes lol. There are many ways around damn near any problem, you just need to look.

Following is a link to connecting the car to the bluetooth
http://www.clare.com/__85256A3900731315.nsf/0/58DEB19E1D8DE51985256A2C00629B8B?Open&Highlight=2,cpc1035

This will mechanically connect the Bluetooth to the racepak. Again only when the PC wants to talk, you make the car side go live.

It's a grounding path issue in the serial connector... the problem would be mechanical, not electrical.

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't see the light, open your eyes lol. There are many ways around damn near any problem, you just need to look.

Following is a link to connecting the car to the bluetooth
http://www.clare.com/__85256A3900731315.nsf/0/58DEB19E1D8DE51985256A2C00629B8B?Open&Highlight=2,cpc1035

This will mechanically connect the Bluetooth to the racepak. Again only when the PC wants to talk, you make the car side go live.
I am going to assume you know more than me on this so I'm listening... that said, I'm still confused as to how a relay would work without hacking the connector.

As is right now, I could take the Racepak serial connector, connect one side to the Racepak and the other side to nothing and would still have a problem logging as the circuitry in the Racepak does not like the barrel and a certain pin grounded during logging.

Are you saying you disassemble the serial connector and wire this in to cut the ground path?

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
DJ, just keep doing what you are doing!

For reference, anyone with a V300, do not leave the serial cable plugged into the unit, it can cause recording problems. The cable acts like an antenna for noise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts