Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the questions I'm often asked is can I make the Racepak start logging automatically. Yes - Racepak and most other logger brands will do this. It's a really great feature especially for someone new to data logging.

Also, as a related question - for those who push a button - why the all the anxiety to push the button at the last possible moment? I think it's stupid. It takes a couple mouse clicks to set the start point of the run anywhere you want.

Here is a YouTube vid of setting up a Racepak this way http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04DdhM0RZsE

This is the main setup screen:

Questions? contact me or Joe Oplawski.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depends on the item DJ. Yes, there is some delay so that's why RPM is good - you start logging in the burn out. The burn out sometimes has good info, but even if not it's simple to skip over it to the run.

For instance you would not want to trigger it off trans brake release.

·
God's servant Romans 13:4
6,798 Posts
Greg, if you push the button after the burn out, wont it go back 3 seconds after it is triggered by the RPM value? ie, it is acquiring data waiting on the launch.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
From the manual:

When setting the start record parameters, please keep in mind that it can take up to 5 seconds from the time a
new recording is initiated, and the time data actually begins to be recorded. This time is required for the
Sportsman data logger to initialize a new recording and varies depending on the number of V-Net channels
installed in your system and the number of data files on the SD memory card.

·
6,798 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere that you could arm it with the button, then actually start the recorder with RPM, and that it would remember up to 3 seconds prior to the launch. Maybe it was just a bad dream. LOL

·
Registered
9,523 Posts

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I thought I had read somewhere that you could arm it with the button, then actually start the recorder with RPM, and that it would remember up to 3 seconds prior to the launch. Maybe it was just a bad dream. LOL
No, you basically have one function that starts the logging, be it a button, rpm or any other parameter you chose.

·
6,798 Posts
I found what I was talking about. Its a different brand than mentioned here so, I will just show what I was talking about.

For example, if Auto start is set for ERPM at 5000, and the unit is set for 8, 20 second runs, with 3 seconds of prelaunch, the computer will begin recording when the record button is pressed, and then watch for the engine RPM to exceed 5000. Once the RPM goes over 5000 during staging or at launch, the computer will store the previous three seconds of data, then record the run in the remaining memory.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
From the manual:

When setting the start record parameters, please keep in mind that it can take up to 5 seconds from the time a
new recording is initiated, and the time data actually begins to be recorded. This time is required for the
Sportsman data logger to initialize a new recording and varies depending on the number of V-Net channels
installed in your system and the number of data files on the SD memory card.

I spoke to RP about this today and here is the deal:

1. 5 seconds is a bit high even for a system with a million sensors
2. during this 3 seconds the recorder is checking in with each sensor and getting ready.
3. This is the reason why you would not want to use trans-brake release to start logging.
4. considering our staging process with a 7-10 second Auto Start timeout, 3-5 seconds is not an issue even for a guy who pushes the button in pre-stage and immediately stages.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You could replace the button with a toggle and a rpm switch and it would do the same thing, flip the switch after the burnout (some people have a burnout switch anyway) and next time you go above say 2000 like when u stage it starts logging, or use the linelock switch set to high, so when u hit it it starts loggin not when u let off

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
You could replace the button with a toggle and a rpm switch and it would do the same thing, flip the switch after the burnout (some people have a burnout switch anyway) and next time you go above say 2000 like when u stage it starts logging, or use the linelock switch set to high, so when u hit it it starts loggin not when u let off
Negative. Like I stated above, the logger will record based on one parameter, not 2. Also I have had customers put toggle switches on for the enable and have seen that cause issues as well. There is plenty of time to record the burnout and the run. Waiting to the last second is asking for issues and also missing valuable information. What happens if the car stumbles trying to go in and you didnt have the button pushed in time, you miss getting the information to help you solve the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts