Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here running a Gear Vendors overdrive unit behind their race trans? I'm talking about a GF-5R / Jerico / Doug Nash style trans with a slipper clutch? I know Jerico makes an adaptor, but does anyone else? I'm throwing around the idea of a streetable stick car using a vertical gate shifter at the track, and then swapping to a H pattern shifter for the street,(to and from the track).

·
Senior phuckstick
1,801 Posts
Gear Vendors will make the custom stuff. They make adapters to put their unit behind Lenco's too

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought you could get those 5 speeds built with 4th as direct and 5th as an overdrive? I see .776 in the ratio chart. That was my future plan for a drag week trans...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Gear Vendors unit behind my Jerico DR4 with a Long pistol grip Vertigate in my Chevelle which is mostly a street car. The adapter housing and shaft coupler are from GV, the adapter housing has the extra "block style" casting area for use with a shaft driven oil pump if you have a splined output shaft for road racing on the trans you buy (I don't have that splining on my output shaft). I don't have a slipper clutch in the car yet so I can't answer that part about driveability in O/D. The overdrive works fine behind the trans with a Centerforce clutch, and I have no problems shifting the Vertigate on the street with road race sliders.

One thing I will mention is that when I went from the Super T-10 to the Jerico(both 32 spline output), Gear Vendors sent me a 31 spline coupler for a Toploader for some reason even though I told them I didn't need a coupler...I just sent it back with my adapter housing exchange from the previous trans. Make sure they know what you need.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cobaltchev67,

Do you have any pictures of the GV unit mated with the Jerico?

Any idea of how much HP loss with the GV?

I'm looking at this combination for a Drag Week deal myself. 2700lbs Notch Mustang with a clutch assisted GF-5R or Jerico and a slipper clutch. All I want to have to do is swap shifters (V to H pattern) for the "street" portion.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just figure it would be a little easier in traffic with the H pattern. Then again, my current trans does not have RR sliders, so that may make the V Gate a little more user friendly on the street.

I do like the idea of running the GF-5R with the OD 5th, and just gearing the first 4 for the track.

·
Gigity
3,140 Posts
I switched my inline shifter to an H pattern on my nash5spd, because it was a BITCH to shift in traffic. specifically trying to find the 3-4 gate on a downshift. the H pattern is way easy to street drive, and not too bad at the track. If you had a 4-speed, an inline shifter would be NO PROBLEM AT ALL to street drive, as there are only 2 gates, and you will never have to wonder if you pull the lever just right for the center gate! its either up, or down.
as far as the OD gears for the g-force, i looked into that, but I have not seen a shifter that can shift it correctly. the OD is actually 4th gear inside the trans, 5th is still 1:1, so the shift pattern will be 1-2-3-5-4 if an OD gear ratio is inside the trans.
Another option is just picking your gear ratios so that you run through the traps in 4th gear, then you'd still have 5th for the highway. spec a bigger than normal spread between 4, and 5

·
Gigity
3,140 Posts
3 pedals,

I see what you mean between the 4 and 5 speed's.

Now, I guess I will see if I can get a GV adaptor for a GF-5R or a Nash box.
Do you already have the gf5r?
If not, put taller gears in the diff , and just order trans gear ratios to work with that, and run through the 1/4 in 4th. And use 5th on the hwy. saves you $2500 fr not buying the GV unit

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you already have the gf5r?
If not, put taller gears in the diff , and just order trans gear ratios to work with that, and run through the 1/4 in 4th. And use 5th on the hwy. saves you $2500 fr not buying the GV unit
I am currently using a DN 5 speed. I'm just trying to figure things out as to what to build/race next.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
3rd gear downshift makes sense now. 4sp here, haven't tried the v gate with a 5sp.

I like the idea about high rear end gearing and running the 1/4 as a 4sp.

·
Registered
38 Posts
cobaltchev67,

Do you have any pictures of the GV unit mated with the Jerico?

Any idea of how much HP loss with the GV?

I'm looking at this combination for a Drag Week deal myself. 2700lbs Notch Mustang with a clutch assisted GF-5R or Jerico and a slipper clutch. All I want to have to do is swap shifters (V to H pattern) for the "street" portion.
I don't really know the HP loss, but I don't think it's a whole lot. In the pic in the link, I realize the 3-4 lever is upside down...fixed that after I took the pic.

http://s348.beta.photobucket.com/user/boarder022/media/1967%20Chevelle/IMG_0897.jpg.html?sort=3&o=108

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
38 Posts
Weight of GV unit is stated by the company to be 42 lbs., I think I weighed it a couple of years ago(minus fluid) on an old analog scale and it was pretty close to that if not spot on. The electronics/wiring/speedometer pickup module is maybe 1/2 a pound or so. Connectors are telephone plug and wire style into the control box, flat blade on the solenoid at the overdrive itself, inline glass 3A fuse with power lead provided along with grounding lead both with RCA style connections on the control box...at the speedometer pickup module that's cable connected I think I made my own weatherproof connections under the car.

Check your floor pan/tunnel clearance for the unit as well as about 8 inches rearward of your current output shaft location(rear face), I had to modify mine a little...I'm not familiar with Fox body or output shaft height of a Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed so no advice there about whether it will fit without mods. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts