Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which race muffler is the best to use ? Which ones don't hurt performance ?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
ive been searching long time how to make 4" thru mufflers quiet. have found out big engines(500 plus cu in) are hard. more camshaft= hard. what is your goals?if your running mid nines, i wouldnt be scared of running 3" if you wanna keep it quiet(police). but u could step it up to 3.5 or 4" if u want. i ran 3" thru muffler on my junk running mid eights and did not choke it as much as i would of thought! good luck, what exactly are u looking for??? magnaflow is a very good muffler for the money, have heard over the years the flowmasters eat hp. dunno never had em...

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you don't mind loud, dynomax bullets or flowmaster outlaws would be my choice. I run 4" bullets right off the headers at the track...runs the same as open headers, just a little quieter.
I have a seperate 4" system w/ one chamber flowmasters for the street. Sounds good and loud, but hurts the power..down low mostly. Loses a tenth and a half in the 1/4.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
My buddy has the Hooker max flow muffler on his ride and it runs 5.20s in the 1/8 with SBF and those mufflers are the quiestest Ive ever heard. They don't seem to hurt performance either.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I put American Racing Headers race mufflers on mine. 18" of straight pipe off the collector, then muffler and 45* turndown. Takes the harsh edge off of the sound and I think it would pass most tracks decible noise rules. Probably not get away withthem on the street though. After a little retuning the car is actually a little quicker and faster now than when I had open headers.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Dual 4" Magnaflow race mufflers on my car (the longer ones). The exhaust system adds 45 pounds to the car but it's better to hear things in the car while going down the track and not have ringing ears at the end of the day than to worry about the slight ET loss from carrying the extra weight. Some of the loudest cars at the track are also the slowest. Many of the faster cars all run mufflers now. Race muffler technology has come a long way in the last 40 years that there's no reason to run open headers any more. Race mufflers are not restrictive and don't reduce the engine power. As stated above, some engines will actually make more power with mufflers.

Without my mufflers, I needed ear plugs to just back the car out of the garage. Even the starting line crew say my car sounds great at the track.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Dual 4" Magnaflow race mufflers on my car (the longer ones). The exhaust system adds 45 pounds to the car but it's better to hear things in the car while going down the track and not have ringing ears at the end of the day than to worry about the slight ET loss from carrying the extra weight. Some of the loudest cars at the track are also the slowest. Many of the faster cars all run mufflers now. Race muffler technology has come a long way in the last 40 years that there's no reason to run open headers any more. Race mufflers are not restrictive and don't reduce the engine power. As stated above, some engines will actually make more power with mufflers.

Without my mufflers, I needed ear plugs to just back the car out of the garage. Even the starting line crew say my car sounds great at the track.
what is the part number on your mufflers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts