1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In Glock I Trust
6,655 Posts
Air tight?.....yes

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
I store my E85 in plastic drums that were used for cooking wine. They seal up nice and tight. No problems here. Nice and light when empty and cost me $5 each.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you look at the bottom of a plastic gas can it will have a triangular symbol on it which says it is made of HDPE and is usable for gasoline. The ones without the mark are probably food grade and I'm not sure how they would work for fuel.

·
140th phuckstick bitches
13,676 Posts
High Density Polyethylene is fuel safe just try to avoid the natural non-color'd if possible as you will have no UV protection.
The recycle triangle will have a number "2" for HDPE plastic.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Static electric can be a problem. When you get close the hair on your arm may move and you need to touch barrel before opening or to let fumes or product out. I would shy away from plastic as uv rays can attack fuel and lose aromatics of product which in turn makes gas go flat. Purchase a VP drum with the liner coated inside and keep off concrete with good gaskets on lids.

·
1995 Cobra
3,536 Posts
Static electric can be a problem. When you get close the hair on your arm may move and you need to touch barrel before opening or to let fumes or product out. I would shy away from plastic as uv rays can attack fuel and lose aromatics of product which in turn makes gas go flat. Purchase a VP drum with the liner coated inside and keep off concrete with good gaskets on lids.
You can keep it on concrete. Just ground it.

·
Mstr Of Useless Knowledge
3,446 Posts
That's what I use. I get them from work every now and then. I do have a white one but it is keep out of the light. I keep them ina flammable cabinet ...

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I store my fuel in the metal pails that I buy them in. I fill up a plastic jug the day Im going racing. I will not store it in the plastic jug.

my2c.

Bob

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
So I had this Summit fuel jug. You know the ones with the bug spin-on lid with an O-ring. It was brand new. I had about 4 gallons of 108 race gas in it and the lid was tight. I put it in my shed and forgot about it. Months later I went to get it and it did not have one drop in it! the lid was so tight I couldn't even remove it so I threw the whole thing away. The only thing I could see in the bottom was some dark blue staining from the fuel.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Moisture in concrete would come through a plastic drum and the initial removal of product from the bottom may be bad. Leave something on concrete in a cool shaded area for a bit and then move it. You should see a dark section of concrete due to moisture. Put it up on a 2x4 so air can ciculate under drum you would be better off.You may need to ground yourself as most have rubber shoes and need a place to transfer static.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts