Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a paint scheme on a race car be copyrighted?? i can see how a cars name or drivers name etc could be, but the colors/graphics/stripes etc?

for example,,,sox and martins cars,beswicks tameless tiger, motown missle, and countless others..

so basically could you clone one of these cars and just not use any names and be safe?

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
can a paint scheme on a race car be copyrighted?? i can see how a cars name or drivers name etc could be, but the colors/graphics/stripes etc?

for example,,,sox and martins cars,beswicks tameless tiger, motown missle, and countless others..

so basically could you clone one of these cars and just not use any names and be safe?
edit....not gonna be a asshole 2nite

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
There's about 9 million 69 Charger general lee's, and I've never heard of any of them ******** getting sued.... LOL

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Branding is part of my experience in racing. The look is not something that can be copyrighted, but it can be trademarked. It can get complex but the scheme can be looked at in the same light as a logo or symbol. In heads-up racing it's not a concern for most, but in nascar, everything is a property to be licensed. For one project we paid a license fee to get full surround images of Labonte and Stewarts helmets and then paid them back end points per unit sold. The figures they made just off these little Trevco xmas ornaments alone for a year would make any heads up racer cry.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#patent

How is a copyright different from a patent or a trademark?
Copyright protects original works of authorship, while a patent protects inventions or discoveries. Ideas and discoveries are not protected by the copyright law, although the way in which they are expressed may be. A trademark protects words, phrases, symbols, or designs identifying the source of the goods or services of one party and distinguishing them from those of others.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts