Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of new cars coming out in primer and being raced.

Are these cars painted inside and underneath with the body primered, or are they just completely primered?

If they are completely primered, does the primer absorb oil and exhaust and what not or is there some sealer or something?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
The cars around here that are being painted to look old, or are specifically running primer have a flat sealer on them

·
Registered
303 Posts
Some guys use black epoxy primer, some clear over the primer.

Most of the good looking black primer colored cars are actually
a base coat/clear coat with a flattening agent in the clear.
The bc/cc cleans like normal paint, because it is, and you can repaint over it.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
Yup. Usually a flattened or matte clear over paint - not just a primered car.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
you can spray it with ppg DP90 {satin black} they have 5 different colors.. it"s an epoxy sealer. will hold up well to UV rays, most solvents, all you"ll have to is lightly sand it when your ready to paint/ do body work.. for what it"s wurth, any high end job that we do an all over on, gets epoxy"d THEN you do any bodywork over the epoxy.. brake fluid is the ONLY thing I"ve seen that will bite you in the ass.. it soaked through somehow, and even contaminates the metal... just make sure what your spraying over is preped correctly, and you"ll be fine.. any questions feel free to call.. 270 869 8853

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
We did Eddie Ware's car with a black base coat and a flattened clear and the alcohol is not real friendly with the flat clear. Looks killer though.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I see a lot of new cars coming out in primer and being raced.

Are these cars painted inside and underneath with the body primered, or are they just completely primered?

If they are completely primered, does the primer absorb oil and exhaust and what not or is there some sealer or something?
Hey, is your car still at Proline? Get 'em to bring it to me, I'll put some paint on it!

·
winners circle
5,556 Posts
We use DP90 also on my car.Spray that stuff in a well ventalated area . Cause you get alot of overspray it seems like to me.We did mine in my house garage.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, is your car still at Proline? Get 'em to bring it to me, I'll put some paint on it!
Nope, its not at proline anymore.

We really arent wanting the primered look, just wanting to make sure all of the bugs are worked out before it gets the base coat. We assume that the underneath and the inside of the chassis would have to be finished painted though.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
mine is done; painted underneath, interior, engine compartment and all the suspension components. didnt paint the body for several reasons. work the bugs out, already wrecked it once last year; cost; and having the time and parts to do it right. i wanted to go racing and paint was at the bottom of the list on the body. mine is dp 90. it isnt the best for protection but it keeps the bare metal and body filler from showing thru. in order to paint mine and do it right it will have to come all the way back apart anyhow and thats a good time to go over everything and reinspect things and make changes if you need to.. maybe someday i will have paint on it. its also nice when you have a lot of fiberglass parts to see what is going to crack and get damged before you paint so the proper repairs and reinforcements can be made before its painted. http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/fatwax/
heres some build pics

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Nope, its not at proline anymore.

We really arent wanting the primered look, just wanting to make sure all of the bugs are worked out before it gets the base coat. We assume that the underneath and the inside of the chassis would have to be finished painted though.

I thought you sold the whole setup? Did I miss something?

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
My new street car is DP90 flat black. Nasty stuff to paint, good resperator needed and dont get overspray on anything you don't want flat black. The guy I bought it from told me if I want to touch it up just scuff and squirt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts