Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived here since the late 1970's and for the past 4 or 5 years I have a rescued Mama Cat and her three daughters (Vanna White, Ally McBeal and Minnie (Mini Me cause she looks like Mama Cat) who have occupied the screened in back porch. In the past 6 months I have a raccoon who tears the screen out, comes in and eats the food then leaves. I rescreen the porch on Sunday morning, he tears it out on Sunday night. Now, the screen door is also being ripped open. Usually he comes in after I've gone to bed but last week I heard him and there are now two - one through the screen window, one thru the door.

A couple of months ago, I caught one in a live trap. If I can catch him, animal control will come pick him up and (supposedly), if he's healthy, they will take him far, far away and release him. If he's sick, they will put him down. Well, I bought the biggest, best trap Home Depot had and he tore out the back - there's just a pin that goes thru the grid - and got out. Now, he will just shake the trap until he can knock the food out, pushes the trap out of his way and eats the food. This sucker is smart.

I bought a soft air gun that shoots those little plastic pellets but I can't catch him on the porch long enough so I can shoot him.

I've read about coyote urine as a deterrent. Anyone have any experience? Sorry for rambling but I wanted you to know the whole story.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Big Cat has the idea, it works.

Also with putting the cinder blocks on the side, put a board across to each block and something heavy on it, there is no way they will be able to flip it that way.. And put the food end of the trap against the wall so they have to enter thru the front, on a double sided cage, only use the trigger door, zip tie the other shut.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a plan. I did not know they liked tuna fish. I know they like Purina One Advanced Nutrition and Hairball formula however.

I will try it this week. First I have to figure out a way to get the cats inside (oh yes, their friend Mr. Raccoon has freed them to roam the backyard) and block the openings so they can't get back out. Once I get rid of the raccoons, I will rescreen again.

Thanks for all of your help.

·
Ice Cream Wolfpack
18,500 Posts
They love marshmallows too.

I used one of the "mean" traps, the leg trap.

Here is the little bastard I caught. Fluffy was his name, and getting killed was his game.

And one for the DP size reference!

I capped this **** because he was eating my dogs' food and I didn't want him eating my dogs! :rolleyes:

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
They love marshmallows too.

I used one of the "mean" traps, the leg trap.

Here is the little bastard I caught. Fluffy was his name, and getting killed was his game.

And one for the DP size reference!

I capped this **** because he was eating my dogs' food and I didn't want him eating my dogs! :rolleyes:

i could not use any of my other means.lol a sheriff lives next to me.

·
Un-Official YB Tormentor
5,087 Posts
We were camping on the St Lawrence River 10 years ago. Little thieven bastards got into the donut holes on the table at night. There had to be 15 of them. Being a bit sadistic, I bought some "Dave Insanity Sauce" which is about 8 steps hotter than a nuclear warhead. One drop KILLS a pot of chili. Shit is HOT!!
Loaded a tray of donut hole with Insanity Sauce. Should have heard them squeel and chirp on their way to the river to get some water! LOL Funny.... they didnt come back for the rest of our trip...

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
We were camping on the St Lawrence River 10 years ago. Little thieven bastards got into the donut holes on the table at night. There had to be 15 of them. Being a bit sadistic, I bought some "Dave Insanity Sauce" which is about 8 steps hotter than a nuclear warhead. One drop KILLS a pot of chili. Shit is HOT!!
Loaded a tray of donut hole with Insanity Sauce. Should have heard them squeel and chirp on their way to the river to get some water! LOL Funny.... they didnt come back for the rest of our trip...

lmao. thats how i fixed my sisters dog. just keep feeding him hot peepers till he had enough.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
A Crossman BB gun. 10 pumps, one nice soft lead pellet to the back of the skull.

I had a possum get in the garage one nigh. Opened the garage door, he wouldn't leave the recyc bin where he was licking cans (of tuna, actually!). Got the BB gun. Whacked him in the head with the end of the barrel to get his attention. He walked past the open garage door into the corner. Tried to shoo him out with the end of the barrel. He bit the end of the barrel. Shortly thereafter, he ate the end of the barrel.

I have no problem killing vermin that roam the neighborhood: coyotes, racoons, possums, rats and squirrels.

Raccoons also carry rabies, which is transferred by saliva. Don't need your cats eating out of the same bowl you've been feeding the raccoons out of.

Trap, kill, burry. End of problem.

-Brad

·
Registered
351 Posts

Tha's just too funny, i'll have to remeber this one.. lol

And i use to hunt and fish up in the Santa Clara/ St. Regis Falls area for many years. My brother-in-law lives up there, it's got to be one of the most awsome places to do either.. But since gas prices have gone up, the trip just isn't affordable to run up myself anymore.. I hope to head back up next spring for some pike fishing..:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts