Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a boosted application with F3..... I noticed mains have been scrubbing but bearings look great.. Are there any tricks like pins or certain girdles that can stop it? Mains have ARP studs with ARP side bolts in center caps. Would it be beneficial to put different main caps in block also 4 bolt in front? Motor is about 1700 HP

·
Boss
2,098 Posts
You could possibly switch the end caps, but realistically you are pushing past the limits of that block. The R302 is generally good to 1200-1500HP...When you get to the HP level you are making, the R block just isn't a good choice.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
This is a boosted application with F3..... I noticed mains have been scrubbing but bearings look great.. Are there any tricks like pins or certain girdles that can stop it? Mains have ARP studs with ARP side bolts in center caps. Would it be beneficial to put different main caps in block also 4 bolt in front? Motor is about 1700 HP
A Dart block with billet caps should take care of the problem.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I know it is not he answer you are looking for it it might be in your best interest to take your rotator out of that block and sell it before it is of no use to anyone and ends up costing you a ot more money. Then that way you will have a good down payment on a DART or WORLD block.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it is not he answer you are looking for it it might be in your best interest to take your rotator out of that block and sell it before it is of no use to anyone and ends up costing you a ot more money. Then that way you will have a good down payment on a DART or WORLD block.
My rotating is billet crank, aluminum rods....I've never heard of anyone breaking an R302. When you factor in how much lighter the 302 rotating assembly is should help it. Dart wanting $2700 plus machine work is pricey for this problem. If my block had 1/2 inch main studs with all billet 4 bolt caps it would probably be ok. The cylinders are fine as is deck. I found a set of billet caps for 351 SVO with 302 mains but not sure if it could be line honed perfectly.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We haven't run a R302 block in that power range, just the Dart blocks with the billet caps and in that power range (with turbos, not f3) we havent seen any issues with cap movement even after breaking a rod in one. Are you able to install 1/2" studs in that block???

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
The R block has 1/2" studs I believe.

I am not saying that you will break the block but it may tear the crank up if it makes a bearing go. Then one thing leads to another as I am sure you know.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a
All the R block mains are 7/16 the new boss is 1/2" . What's strange the center caps have more movement than the 2 bolt end caps. Have any of you installed billet caps that have already been line honed in another block? The machine shop told me they have never seen one line up on the sides thats been cut already on another block. The hole should get smaller the more you mill the cap. I will look into the 1/2 inch studs though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts