Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of an oxymoron but had enough raunchiness of the straight through Flo Pro muffler. Different application- it's a street 383 cid truck but there's a lot of experience here. Before you say it the wrong pipe size, you're probably right but for now it's staying. Have about 24-40 inches length to play with. Not sure if a better quality Magnaflow (straight through) will be any different, probably looking at Donaldson chambered diesel type muffler or a 'bus' muffler. Advice welcome.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Magnaflow does have a bigger unit, and Spintech has some towing/suv versions. What turned you on to Spintech? At this point I'm biased away from 'performance' towards sound mitigation.

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
I would do two of these back to back, or

https://www.holley.com/products/exhaust/mufflers/laminar_flow_mufflers/pro_series/standard/parts/14020100

Two of these back to back. Yes, these are 3.5", so you would need to neck it down, but they are straight through. IMO, your giving up nothing. They have a much larger body size, so they will absorb more sound.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers/ultra-flo-welded-mufflers?muffler_inlet_diameter1=147

You have 40" of space, so you can fit two inline.

My experience with spintech has been less than satisfying, but lots of guys love them, sooooo. I find them very crackly, and tinny sounding. just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I have read that their build quality has slipped the last few years- but how about two ganged Holley 3.5in AroeFlow's ? I'm in Canada and it looks like Spintech ships UPS which will add $100 to the bill.
This is replacing the biggest SS Ultraflow I could fit as it rusted out inside.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That FM Pro- didn't that used to be Hushpower? I've looked at those before but very little info, pricey buggers. Any experience with Borla multicore?

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
That FM Pro- didn't that used to be Hushpower? I've looked at those before but very little info, pricey buggers. Any experience with Borla multicore?
Its a similar design, but on a larger body. The hushpowers are in a small shell for space limited install's, and come with a HP limit. These don't have that HP restriction. Yes......pricey!

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
I have read that their build quality has slipped the last few years- but how about two ganged Holley 3.5in AroeFlow's ? I'm in Canada and it looks like Spintech ships UPS which will add $100 to the bill.
This is replacing the biggest SS Ultraflow I could fit as it rusted out inside.
So the SS Ultra has a MS internal perforated tube? WTF is with that?? Thats bullshit!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't cut the SS Ultraflow apart to see, but after sitting some years the truck was getting complaints from wifey about noise- When I pay for SS I expect SS throughout.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whats the scoop on these multi cores- Borla is expensive but these are crazy....but I'll pay if they work well. Next to no reviews.

Borla 400069 XR-1® Multi-Core 4" Center-Center 23"x5.5"x8.5"

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Whats the scoop on these multi cores- Borla is expensive but these are crazy....but I'll pay if they work well. Next to no reviews.

Borla 400069 XR-1® Multi-Core 4" Center-Center 23"x5.5"x8.5"
The body of the muffler is too small imo, to do any serious sound reduction. I certainly wouldn't want to pop for that kind of money "just to see".

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Edelbrock use to make their RPM series mufflers. Had something called a 'tru flow' core. I know they made them in at least 3.5"... as a buddy bought some. Fairly large case, and probably what you would want... but, I think they went out of production 10-12 years ago. Borla might be your best bet, if they make one long/large enough to absorb a decent amount of sound. Either this, or if you have room... start looking into 4" diesel stuff. It's a very popular size in those trucks. Good chance of finding what you are looking for.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The body of the muffler is too small imo, to do any serious sound reduction. I certainly wouldn't want to pop for that kind of money "just to see".
Exactly.

Well, coming down to two choices- ganging up two Aerochamber 3.5in with bullet and I'm going to phone Donaldson about their 34-44in 4in muffler with the mid tier chamber design in mind they do list dB unsure what range non diesel would be.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Edelbrock use to make their RPM series mufflers. Had something called a 'tru flow' core. I know they made them in at least 3.5"... as a buddy bought some. Fairly large case, and probably what you would want... but, I think they went out of production 10-12 years ago. Borla might be your best bet, if they make one long/large enough to absorb a decent amount of sound. Either this, or if you have room... start looking into 4" diesel stuff. It's a very popular size in those trucks. Good chance of finding what you are looking for.
I have the old Eddy TES headers- they were expensive at the time but have lasted well, they had decent shocks and exhaust- but all gone now or at least sold off.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts